UH Coaching Tenures

I disagree that Dimel was better based upon their resumes.

No, you’re conflating two different and distinct things and inferring things I didn’t say. I did not say or infer that Applewhite’s resume was “awesome”, I explained the reasons he was hired, e.g. his long history as an OC and Texas roots, and that it was better than Dimel’s resume, which we disagree on (see above).

Bama’s record has to be understood in context for 2007. Saban was a proven coach that had moved to the NFL, failed, and was returning to college. He was just beginning his rebuild. Additionally, the fact that Applewhite coached at Bama is not the impressive part as you incorrectly assumed I was trying to say. It is the fact he had tutelage under Saban is the part that is impressive.

When applewhite was co-oc at Ut with Brian harsin, Harsin was calling the plays. In fact, I think he rarely called the plays at ut (he may have overlapped with Greg Davis also who was obviously calling the plays there).

The comparison of resumes and records is really not a good benchmark. It has to go deeper than that, but frankly takes more research than I am willing to do. The measure of a good coach, regardless of their philosophy, is the ability to assess the team’s talent and modify the scheme in order to give them the best chance to succeed. Even then, they have to be willing to honestly assessing their performance (players and coaches) and to make the appropriate corrections. Beyond the replacement of Allen, I really have not seen this.

1 Like

Funny, the fact that we are comparing him to Dimel makes my point !!!

Get out the AX !!

2 Likes

Now that… we can agree on.

I get the feeling that Herman knew what talent he was going to have available this year. He knew he hag a good deal in Ward, and was nervous about not having him, just like Sumlin and Keenum. Just like Sumlin, he moved on before he could be revealed. Unlike Sumlin, Herman didn’t have a Manziel to fall in his lap, and it’s showing.

Summary: Herman knew this year was a talent drop off, and cashed in and left the mess to Applewhite. Now Applewhite is getting predictable results.

It’s only a theory, and not the finding of a peer reviewed double blind study, but as heuristics go, it certainly echoes our previous experiences.

2 Likes

I just think both sumlin and Herman wanted to be at a big name program from day one and left at the first offer they had. If ATM would have offered sumlin after his second year here he would have been gone. If UT or LSU would have offered Herman after his first season he would have been gone (remember he admitted to being "far down the road " with South Carolina after year one.

Most coaches want to coach at a big name blue blood program and it’s not always easy to follow up a great coach who leaves with another. There is drop off because Levine wasn’t as good a coach as sumlin and we’ll probably find out that applewhite isnt as good as Herman.

1 Like