UH Cougar Football Media Days Press Conferences

This. I’ve never seen a Briles offense that didn’t score a ton of points, even in a first year on the job situation. Briles loves speed and we have that in spades this year. I’ve said it before, but as much as I loved what Dunbar, Bonner and Chance Allen brought as receivers, none of those guys were particularly fast which left us without much of a downfield option. That allowed defenses to play tighter and be better prepared to thwart the run. Having a coach who knows how to use speed on the outside as a lethal weapon is going to open up a lot of things and we have the athletes to get it done. If the offense sputters this year, I’m sure we will all have our opinions why, but it’s not immediately clear to me now why that would be the case.

This is the crux to last season’s problems offensively. We had good hands but NO speed. Period. That and an awful Oline perfomance, leads you to 7-5. I expect big things this year.

You left out terrible play calling, bad decisions by the QBs and horrible/if any halftime adjustments.

1 Like

I agree with the last two, but I’m unsure on the first. What if it just looked like terrible play calling because we didn’t have the ability to execute? Inability to keep secondaries honest means lots of running plays and screens to try to loosen up the defense. Combine that with terrible OL play and WRs unable to execute blocks on screen plays to save their lives means good play calling must have been a beast last year. I still place the blame on the coaches because they couldn’t coach up the speed we did have and couldn’t coach up our OL and WRs to execute blocking schemes. But I’m not so sure the play calling was the issue because I don’t know what alternatives we had that would have worked with the makeup and skills of our personnel. But after typing all that out, maybe this is a potAto/potAHto situation.

ergo Apples replaced Ocoord and Oline coaches.

You are the example of blaming play calling when it could be the team did not have the talent to execute the play that was called. Your inquiry as to whether or not CKB will change the offense to fit the talent or bring in better talent.

You know how it’s easy to blame play calling? Because we made no halftime adjustments. If you can’t make adjustments, then you have spent a whole week preparing for the first offensive series and then are calling the same crap over and over no matter what the defense does.

2 Likes

When you can’t run between the tackles … for 2 years … and the O scheme continues to be “run between the tackles”, no matter the consequences; then there’s a play calling problem. A large part of play calling is knowing your players can and can’t execute, and make adjustments

1 Like