UH Football and the QB

I ageee with this post

3 Likes

For the record, D. C. Nobles should be on the list. QB of the 1973 11-1 team that lost only at Auburn. We marched up and down the field, but fumbled multiple times.

I don’t think comparing three teams that can’t play each other at the same time can be used as a basis for predicting game outcomes ;that’s the same logic we had going into a game with a 1-5 Tulsa team. It’s like we assumed we were better than the 5 teams Tulsa lost to, and were guaranteed a win. We aren’t as good as Tulane or any of those teams until we beat them. I think we have to look at scheme, find our advantages on both sides of the ball and then treat each game as if it has its own identity. As the saying goes, 1-0 every week.

Lastly, at this point, what can King give us that Postma can’t at the QB position? It may be time to realize that our QBs have to learn the system, and play within the system. We can’t scramble after the first read fails. We have to learn to go through progressions, or teams will continue to exploit that (i.e. delayed blitzes, corner blitzes, and rushing only 3). I love Ward Jr. as much as the next Coog, but Greg Ward Jr. was a transcended/generational talent. King, Smith, and even Amie are not going to be like Greg. They have to learn the system and be patient.

2 Likes

Speed

2 Likes

The problem with that answer is that it’s the answer about King wherever he lines up on the field for us.

Postma is a good athlete, but not even in the same stratosphere as King. I haven’t seen King run this offense or throw the ball at this level, but I have seen Postma and if I were a betting man, I’d put money on King being the better passer based on what he did in high school (yes, I know this analysis is often faulty). My two cents (for what they’re worth here) is to let Postma start this game. If he struggles, put in King and let him start the rest of the year. My thinking is, if we win, maybe King is the answer and we’re still in the hunt for a conference championship. If we lose, we’re pretty much out of the hunt, Postma graduates next year, so let’s invest in the next guy. Put Postma back at WR where we could certainly use some depth.

2 Likes

*More speed.

More speed to do what? Scramble for his life after the first read fails, only to have QB execution (holding the ball for extended periods of time) be blamed on the O line and OC? Or not having speedy receivers? It’s always something; this week our coach is to blame for his low energy level
We don’t have a personnel problem. We have an execution problem. I guarantee you, potent offenses like Memphis and SMU wouldn’t trade their efficient QB play (guys who can make multiple reads) for a QB with more speed. Stick with Postma.

1 Like

I agree. If we do end up with King starting and he struggles, let’s hope people on this board don’t suggest “put in Allen, or Postma”. haha

1 Like

Scramble for his life? You mean like Ward did the last 3 years? Ward’s speed, as well as his other abilities, bailed out this offense the last 2 years. Those other abilities from Allen and Postma arent enough to bail this offense out. So maybe some Ward type speed is needed

What gives you the idea that King is anything like Ward? Please explain. When I’ve been watching the games and our QBs hold the ball (is what you’re asking King to do if the read isn’t there) other teams have made adjustments and booted us off of the field very quickly. I’m really interested to know why there is so much confidence in King. We went from Allen to Postma, not Allen to King. I think it can be concluded that King is our 3rd best option at QB (for the moment). I think that’s setting him up to fail if we ask him to come in and just “scramble”.

1 Like

We went to Postma because King did not get the practice time at QB due to injury.

1 Like

No.

It’s simple. The staff was committed to Allen to start the season. When it didn’t work, they went with Postma, who was the incumbent returning QB with starting experience. King, like Ward, was an exceptional HS QB, and if you took the time to review his HS films would reveal how good he is as a QB. King is only our 3rd best QB because of politics. If you can’t see the speed and quickness of King, then you’re not looking hard enough.

I’m going to assume you know that HS (highlights are not tape, they’re clips minus the" low lights") and playing QB at the college level is a lot more difficult. But just in case, consider yourself reminded. Second, people (you as well) keep mentioning speed. Snapping the ball, and staring down one read and then bailing is not playing QB. If you’ve watched the Memphis game tonight, Postma did it many times and it contributed to us misfiring on offense. I’m more than willing to take this further and explain with visual references, if need be. Asking King to be a one read guy will not work.

I saw many of Kings games in person and he was not just runner. He was very much in the mold of Greg Ward

You saw him at the D1 college level?

We did not see Ward either until they gave him a chance. From all indications He was doing well at QB in spring practice until re aggravating injury.

What makes you think King=Ward Jr.?

From what I saw of his play throughout his high school career. He showed the same characteristics. He may not turn out to be but we will not know if not given the chance. What happens if O’Korn does not have craptacular game against UCF and they put Ward in? I may be wrong but I feel that we could not be any worse with giving him a chance.

you asked this question a few times so ill answer it

king holds the record for most passing touchdown in texas 6a history (on of the hardest division in all HS football)
king regularly had his team ranked in the national top 25 in high school
which is impressive for a non recruiting public school
and you cant say its a system like katy or allen as they havent been ranked since he left

he made it to the semi-finals of the elite 11 as a 5’9.5 qb (and they want traditional sized qbs), he was a 4star athlete
he won houston athlete of the year in 2015

by all means he was more acclaimed than ward coming out of high school
those that mean similar success? who knows but the comparison of his potential to ward i think are warranted

4 Likes