UH law faculty/employees pass resolution rename Calhoun Rd. "MLK Blvd."

Aren’t there too many Martin Luther King Jr Blvd already? Frankly, I haven’t been to a city that doesn’t have a Martin Luther King Jr Blvd! It seems like every major street becomes MLKJ Blvd and when you have too many it becomes difficult to tell people the location of a particular part of a city because everywhere seems to be MLKJ Blvd.

Furthermore, too many streets being named that name kind of take away the uniqueness of dedicating a street to the man in the first place! That’s just my opinion.

We have many men and women who did great things in the history of our country that deserved to be honored also, not just MLKJ.

That’s not to take away from what the man did. However, men who fought in wars and gave men like MLKJ his rights to fight for his people and express his views should also be honored. Men, such as Ben Franklin who laid the foundation for our government and made inventions that made our civilized life possible should also be honored. BTW, Franklin was actually one of the earliest people who promoted the idea of freeing slaves, which he later did with his slaves.

Without these aforementioned men I don’t think great men, such as MLKJ, might not existed. That’s just my opinion.

I get your point in some sense, but it doesn’t
appear MLK is a threat to taking down Main or
Washington anytime soon. Or even 1st-6th streets. Poor Ben, he doesn’t
fare well on this list either…but he has the $100 thing
representing him well.

https://m.imgur.com/goACdya

Yikes… This might be one of the most reactionary things I’ve ever read on here and I’ve seen quite a bit. Cities don’t have multiple MLK streets and even if they did we have the power of internet and gps to tell us where we are. And whether he is “too honored” is one of the exact same arguments made to not federalize his holiday. Might want to rethink your position.

3 Likes

men who fought in wars and gave men like MLKJ his rights to fight for his people and express his views

Vs

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

4 Likes

So many things to address, but I’ll keep it simple: look at a map.

5 Likes

Again, the cancel culture is not only toxic, destructive but mainly dangerous. Only American, Central & South American Indians can be right with this reasoning. Everybody else needs to get a one way ticket to their original land.
This has no end and that is why it has got to be stopped. Re-writing history is synonymous with fascism. Snowskier brought it up. The rise of the nazi regime was just a few decades ago. That is another history lesson that we shall never forget . Our entire school system is to blame. We either teach history with facts or we do not teach it at all. The 1619 project vs.1776 is one THE prime example of what we are witnessing.

1 Like

Law,
I see no reason why HR Cullen would escape
historical review or why anyone admired or honored
should. I personally don’t think his comment on the
New Deal is a deal breaker. The program was radical for it’s time and I think many fair minded folks had at least concerns about it. If he had a long history of supporting and saying anti-Jewish stuff, a closer look would be warranted.

In regards to TSU, HR Cullen was pretty much
following the separate but equal law of land at the time. So he donated land for this purpose. Can’t really fault him about that either. Unfortunately that
was the thinking and legal doctrine of that time.

So what facts, other than what’s already been mentioned, rise to the level of disavowing this UH
benefactor ? State your case please.

In the case of HR Cullen being held in the court of
UHLaw, I see much more “good” than “bad”. I’m more amazed that your amazed, but looking forward to your arguement.

How about the fact that the original Cullen Foundation charter to support UH excluded non-Whites as a requirement?

Or the fact that Strom Thurmond’s Dixiecrat ticket (which Cullen was a strong supporter of) called for racial segregation?

I also don’t understand why there isn’t any more of an uproar at Sam Houston given that Houston was a member of the anti-Catholic/anti-Immigrant/Racist Know-Nothing Party and was also a slave owner.

If you are looking for racism with historical figures you will find it everywhere.

Key being original;

Or the fact that Strom Thurmond’s Dixiecrat ticket (which Cullen was a strong supporter of) called for racial segregation?

1960s and civil rights and new way of thinking had not happened yet. It’s was the legal doctrine of the time.

uproar at Sam Houston given that Houston was a member of the anti-Catholic/anti-Immigrant/Racist Know-Nothing Party and was also a slave owner.

Read up on this and give it a think. Consider
all evidence.

https://www.shsu.edu/today@sam/samhouston/HouEman.html

Your final acts and positions often determine your legacy. More good than bad is still my vote for both.

You are not bothered that he was with others responsible for “relocating” American Indians?

There aren’t any that warrant “Cancel Culture” when a logical mind understand the context of the time of separate but equal which was the law of the land as set by the USSC almost a half a century earlier. It is pretty difficult to cancel culture someone that gave the land to bring forward the dream of building a HBC in Houston.

There is no such thing as a “Cancel Culture”.
There is a cancer culture that desires to keep
names and questionable figures admired with
monuments. Even if it’s divisive to the society as a whole.

How is this being flagged ? Please tell me why so
I may not offend thee in the future. Not my desire
to have satellite removed.

I will assume snow meant to type “many” instead of “any”, but there are still clearly many who should not be honored. You know people like Hitler, Saddam, Mussolini, etc seem like no brainers to me. Or how about a guy who was a traitor and fought against the US, then was the creator of the KKK? Can we agree on that? There were (or still are?) statues of that man.

There isn’t?

You hiding some place?

cancel culture Meaning | Pop Culture by Dictionary.com.

Fellow Houstonian Kelly Rowland and millions of others would disagree.

Cancel Culture Queen would also disagree after getting Cancelled and Trolled

Cancel Culture Queen And Online Troll Chrissy Teigen Distraught About Being Canceled And Trolled

Come on now, the fact that MLKJ fought for the equal rights of his people was an extremely noble and brave thing for him to do. However, he did not do those things all by himself. There were many white people that helped him and stood by him as well as many other black people as well. All I’m saying MLKJ was appropriately honored, we should start giving some recognition and memorial to those who have made the Civil Rights Movement a success.

One such person who I always felt never got his just recognition for fighting racial bigotry and inequality is Lyndon Johnson. He was the mastermind that made the racial equality that MLKJ was seeking possible. He was also the one that passed numerous social programs in this country that helped not only black people, but all poor and working class people as well.

Here are some of the laws that he sought and passed during his time in office:

Medicare, Medicaid, Older Americans Act, Increase Funding for All Levels of Education from Primary Schools to Colleges, Civil Rights Acts, Voting Rights Act, Department of Housing and Urban, Clean Air Act, Aids to Farmers, Vocational Education, Tax Reduction for Working People, Urban Mass Transit, War on Poverty, National Parks Funding, The Creations of New National Parks, Food Stamp, Housing Act, Water Pollution Control, More Funding for Federal Highways, Traffic Safety, and many many more laws were sought and passed by him.

Now, what touched me the most is the fact that there were many white people who stood by MLKJ and shared many of the same brutalities that black people experienced during their fight for equality for black people despite the fact that what they were fighting for wasn’t to end the hate and discrimination that were directed towards them, but rather the hate and discrimination that were directed towards people that were outside of their race. To me, these people should have every bit of the recognition that MLKJ has gotten.

You mean Robert Byrd

No, Nathan Bedford Forrest the first Grand Wizard of the KKK. Did you really think the KKK was formed in the 1950s? Man, we really do need to teach history better if so. As for Byrd, yeah I wouldn’t mind his statue coming down either. The big difference there is that man changed his life and spent 50-60 years as a fighter for civil rights, even the NAACP was a supporter of him. But if makes people happy for him to come down too if we can get rid of traitors to the US, tear it down. Weird that he is the only person the anti “cancel culture” are supporters of taking down a statue of.

It’s just silly, and that’s all I’ve go to
say about that. People running around feeling their
culture and heritage are being “cancelled” . But
if you delight in such things , please indulge yourself. .

Agree to large degree about LBJ. But he is burdened by the Vietnam War legacy.