UH merchandise: All

I went to the Academy at 290 and Hwy 6 yesterday and couldn’t find ANY UH gear other than car decals and flags. No clothing at all. However, they had A&M and UT racks so stuffed and so numerous that you couldn’t walk between them without knocking stuff off hangers. Maybe there was UH gear in there, but I couldn’t find it through all the maroon and burnt orange. That’s unacceptable and frankly a little ridiculous!

2 Likes

I know this horse has been beaten into a coma, but why did Academy spend the money to get signage in TDECU and put together a marketing partnership with UH if they weren’t going to stock the stores with UH gear?

1 Like

Store stock is based on that individual Store’s leadership team, not Academy Corporate. Corporate would be who paid for signage. If you want to complain, ask for the Store’s SD (store director), and complain to them.

1 Like

On that note, I was in the Academy on 59 between Kirby and Shepherd last night and they had tons of racks full of UH gear.

3 Likes

Just going to drop this here from another thread.

1 Like

That store is notorious for not carrying UH merchandise. I don’t generally go to that location anymore.

The Academy in Pearland was full of UH gear…and many people buying

this was about 10 days ago

So you are telling me Corporate has zero influence on what the SD has in the store? It’s a waste of money to partner with UH and then not have it in most local stores. Just my thoughts on the matter, not questioning your facts.

1 Like

There are planograms and specific things that must be executed, like all stores, but it is up to the SD to determine mix within departments and depth within the mix. They are the ones blamed if products sit, and they get the say if things do not sell.

But by all means, complain to me about it, a guy who works in IT and has Zero say regarding what is stocked where, rather than doing what I suggested.

Who the hell is bitching at you about it? It’s a message board. If I am frustrated that no Academy near me has UH gear, I can come on here and vent about it. Stop taking it personally. Did I say, “bfalke1, this is YOUR FAULT!!!”? Jesus. If anything I complimented you giving me the insight and then you accuse me of bitching at you about it? Okay.

If I took every complaint about every company I have worked at personally, I would be a very bitter man.

1 Like

Yup but only 5-6 shitty polos that have been there for eons

Sorry, but you did not specifically bitch about it, but I have made the suggestion here (or one of the other forums before), and it was ignored by everyone, and they just continued to complain in an online forum, which is going to get nothing changed.

Did you mean they have new merchandise online or at the store? Cant find anything new online. If online link please.

They have great stuff there. Polls, tshirt S, jerseys.

Houstorian has some nice Houston related merchandise, although, none specifically for UH. This one comes closest if you get it in red:

https://www.spreadshirt.com/tothineownselfbehou+t-shirts-A103264231?department=1&productType=175&color=F51E30&appearance=5&view=1

2 Likes

One of the individuals (think he was the mgr) I spoke to at the Cinco Ranch store on 1463 mentioned it was still a licensing issue by UH. Is there any truth to this?

Here’s s link to all of Academy’s stock online. Lot of stuff to choose from there. I’m assuming that the stores can stick any of what is online; if they aren’t, that’s on the store itself.

It’s a lie.

None that I have heard of. I recall (just before the start of the season) it being talked about around the office that they were going to carry more UH gear in the local stores, I am not sure if that is tied to Fanatics deal, or of it was just bandwagon, or a change in licencing. Maybe a combination of licencing/bandwagon.

I just checked the website and there is a much better selection than I have ever seen in a store, not sure if it is taking time to get to stores, or if this is SD just choosing not to stock it.

I did notice that the stuff online is more Nike than before (there used to be some, but very little), so maybe there is something to the change, as I used to find unusual brand stuff, like Russel Athletics UH gear in store, and I do not see that stuff online or in the store near me (I-10 and 99) anymore.

To add:
Academy has invested heavily recently in programs to help determine the value of rack based on turnover of the items, margin of items etc. I would imagine this is telling them stock more UH, but they probably still change slowly, as they have to clear out other stuff, not just simply add UH (I do not think anything ever goes back to warehouse, they sell it, if it doesn’t sell, it gets clearanced out - but that obviously kills margins, so they probably account for that too, if we sell something at a loss, it may not be able to be made up with a small margin College gear, so they need sell through of other stuff - but this is just my guess based on what I know - which is limited, as I work in IT, and do not know much about the store operations really, so take it with a grain of salt).

I was in Dallas 2 weekends ago and went to an Academy hoping to get a SMU shirt for my newborn (my Grandfather, who we were going to visit, and passed just 5 days after our visit, played for SMU - so forgive me - it was for him), and there was nothing, not a single SMU item, and there was less TCU stuff than the Katy Academy has UH, it really shocked me, but it did make me wonder it it was because the margins on college stuff make it hard to stock large amounts, maybe the licence deals for the good gear (Nike/Under Armor IMO) leave margins really slim or something.