UH needs a depth charge on offense

Preemptive excuses. Guess we’ll be rebuilding another year.

“Our depth is what scares me on offense,” Holgorsen said this week as the Cougars prepare to hold the first of two open scrimmages at 6 p.m. Friday at TDECU Stadium. “I’m not worried about depth at all on defense. We’re not actively out there pursuing anything that we feel like we need. I cannot say that about our offense. We are out there actively recruiting people about at every spot possible, including the quarterback spot.”

Maybe we need to pay someone to recruit and bring in the depth/talent that we need?

UH needs a depth charge on offense, coach Dana Holgorsen says (houstonchronicle.com)

3 Likes

Wow is that a real quote from DH? If so, sounds like we will struggle along again offensively. I still think coaching is a huge factor here both on who they select to play and the play calls they choose. But yeah no excuses DH. 8 wins minimum- you have had two wasted years now and this is a historically easy schedule.

7 Likes

He’s been saying on interviews that he needs to get 2 more o lineman & 2 receivers via the portal. He’s definitely not comfortable with the offense yet.

I told ya… Should of brought in a veteran QB transfer.

4 Likes

I am not a physician or pharmacist so I am not giving advice to the casual fan. That said, this is why I keep a bottle of Zantac at the ready.

2 Likes

The bad thing is if it’s a rebuilding year UH is going to waste one heck of a defense.

I’m like just try to build the o line the best you can via what’s left of the portal and start your best talent in the skill positions even if they’re freshman.

We’ve said it a million times on here- a “big time” QB covers up a lot of offensive flaws on offense. In the last 20 years we have mostly had “big time” QBs that have largely enabled our success. DH seems dead set on “fixing” the offense the long route. JMO

2 Likes

I thought the offense would quicker to rebuild than the defense. Can’t we find skill position players in the state?

The O-Line issue has always been an issue. Can’t we develop O-linemen or is it really that difficult.

You would think with the increased amount we are paying the assistant coaches…we’d have more development…not less.

This is year 3…not 1

3 Likes

I thought the OP meant blowing up the offense.

6 Likes

At this point we may need to.

In his presser this week, he said the starting receivers he is fine with, but the guys behind them aren’t stepping up like he expects people in their 3rd year to do. Oline is kind of the same and we already have some guys banged up.

Assistants are supposed to do pressers today so maybe we’ll get more info.

2 Likes

…and that is exactly what CDH said he’s trying to do!

I’ve been saying this since the season was over and there was more options on the table via the transfer portal. All of this while he was saying 3 months ago he wasn’t going to bring in another QB after Holgi Jr transfer :sunglasses:

Another mistake he regrets.

How about adjusting the offensive strategy to maximize their output based on the players you have…?

We need to get the ball out quickly and into space if we can’t block long enough for downfield routes to develop; or if we can’t run the ball.

Get it done CDH!

9 Likes

Unless our offense gets it together at least somewhat I fear we will struggle our way to bowl contention and a 6-7 win season. THAT type of season with this schedule after 2 rebuild years will put DH on the hotseat.

5 Likes

This schedule is not “historically easy”. I wish fans would stop saying that.

4 Likes

I guess the QB room isn’t good after all.

1 Like

Don’t kid yourself the schedule is historically easy:

• Zero top 25 teams
  • One “P5” team that historically isn’t that great and doesn’t play much defense and we are playing them in Houston. Texas Tech hasn’t had a winning season since 2015 and is 24-35 in that time. Very beatable.
  • First 4 games in Houston city limits (support of a home UH cheer base)
  • 6 of first 8 games in Houston city limits (support of a home UH cheer base) and lets be honest @ Tulsa and @ Tulane don’t really strike fear into an opponents mind from an away game standpoint
  • A FCS team (Grambling) which is a guaranteed W
  • Combined record of our opponents in 2020 and UConn 2019 record since they didn’t play in 2020, (excluding Grambling) 43-61 (41% winning percentage)
  • We avoid Cincy (clearly the best AAC team this year) as well as UCF
  • Memphis and SMU both lose their multiyear starting QBs

Anything less than 8 wins with all things considered above and 2 years of “internal rebuilding” would be an utter failure. Quite honestly with a “very good” QB and coach combo that we have mostly seen in the last 20 years this sets up as a 10 win season. NO MORE EXCUSES!

17 Likes

CDH setting up the excuses in April. Impressive.

13 Likes

The schedule is a cakewalk.

Nine wins or more. If not, then fire CDH.

9 Likes