UH needs to hire a new GM type position for Football

With our current conference affiliation and money situation we know the following statements to be true:

1. coaches, ADs, etc. that show any promise WILL be poached by P5 programs

2. coaches, ADs, etc. that are mediocre or struggling WILL NOT be poached by P5 programs.

Yes, it sucks but it is reality. I’d rather be in category 1 knowing that we had a coach/ AD that left tremendous contributions to our program. I whole heartedly disagreed with Tilman’s strategy to find a mediocre coach that will stay.

So, if we ACCEPT that coaches who do incredible things here WILL leave well then let’s use that as a given and find a way to use it to our advantage. Let’s create an new GM type position for UH.

The GM would not be the AD, no …he/she would set the type of culture we want, the type of recruiting standards we have, the type of marketing we have, the type of hungry ambitious coach we need, etc…this GM’s job would be to find ambitious coaches and also view them as indespensible because our culture has to be bigger than a coach or AD. Those two positions should report to the GM and do what we expect. If we have revolving coaches we can’t allow Sumlin to come in an do recruiting/marketing his way, and then have Levine do things his way, then have Herman raise the bar, then have Applewhite take a step back and then start all over with a new coach…we are putting all our eggs in THEIR basket and THEY leave caring very little about the University of Houston long term.

We need to create a position to steer and direct our program the way we want …because the coaches will leave.

2 Likes

100% agree…if not the AD then a GM…perfect.

The ADs leave also…we need a new position, one that the AD and Coach reports to. They will be allowed to do their jobs but the GM type position would set the culture.

We already have someone in that position. Her name is Dr. Khator. She is responsible for hiring and supervising the AD and through the AD, all of the head coaches.

4 Likes

While that sounds nice, for a program deep in the red, all we need is another guy on the payroll.

10 Likes

Well, Pezman LEFT a P5 program to come to UH. How does that fit in to the universe of truths you have here? He was successful at Cal so why demote himself? Why not stay at Cal until Stanford or the like comes calling?

Talk about unnecessary expenditures. I heard the team traveled to a Tennessee so they could prep for the bowl game with their OC.

1 Like

We are so far ahead of other programs and will continue this path by creating some position that no other program … blue blood or not has currently. Oh n we will pull the $$ out of grey sky to pay for position. Pleasseeee!! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::neutral_face:

It’s not that far-fetched. Schools like UH have to be smarter and more innovative than the blue bloods. That’s how we’ll survive. In terms of funding we can use the buy-out money from Briles and Clements to fund for 3-4 years…

Yeah unless someone wants to pony up the $$ for that position I wouldn’t be thrilled with another 6 figure salary position with this sport.

Hope you are joking . . . . . but might not be far from the truth . . . . .

Yea, I was foolin’. Just frustrating to know you’re prepping for a bowl and your OC is off fishing.

1 Like

The scope of responsibilities described of a GM should be the responsibilities of a AD. Coaches and AD’s leave, so could a GM. A GM is just a title. A P5 program could easily hire him or her away, then its another hiring situation for us.

A GM is just another layer of bureaucracy and expense in our sports program that is not needed.

Behind the scenes are Dr. Khator and Tilman Fertitta making the important business decisions. I don’t see the value in a GM for UH.

4 Likes

Yep.

2 Likes

And then?

By then he’ll have paid for himself with additional revenue from attendance, and savings by not having to pay top dollar for P5 wanna-be name brand coaches.

For those that say this is the job of the AD, what exactly is he doing differently to protect UH from continuing to be the minor league of coaching for other schools? I don’t know if hiring a GM is the answer but we have to do something. Our strengths are what? Recruiting, Facilities, TV market?

We need a “system” for winning that remains no matter who the coach is.

Ironically UH has tried for years to shake the “commuter school” image, but that’s exactly what we have become for coaches!

UH’s last sub .500 year was 2012. UH has a system for winning and is a winning program. They were 1 win away from the division title and if not for the King injury they would have had a pretty good chance. People act like this is a 3 win team.

You can’t win a national title at a G5 school in football. Until that changes you can’t expect coaches to stay if they really want a chance to win at the highest level. If you want someone to stay for the duration then hire someone older who is just looking to play out the string.

Yes you can win a title in the g5. But you have to field a title-winning team. Coaches don’t leave solely for the chance to win national titles. They leave for money first, family preference second, and a mix of everything else third.

It’s the prestige of the mythical p5 that draws coaches away: owning your local media, having your own radio channel on satellite radio, clothing deals, top of the website updates, large fan followings, and on and on.

It ain’t a national championship disparity, it’s a cash disparity.

Isn’t this exactly what Applewhite is?

He’s not running the offense. He’s not running the defense. He’s not running special teams.

He just oversees those.

1 Like

I would disagree a G5 team can win a tittle. If you can name one in the history of CFB in any format I’d like to see it. I don’t really count UCF’s one off metric site they found and claim. Even when they did their coach left.

I think the family preference idea has never proven out. If that was the case I would think schools in big cities would be doing significantly better.