UH president Renu Khator open to another Houston-Texas football matchup

During an appearance Friday at The Texas Tribune Festival in Austin, UT athletic director Chris Del Conte was complimentary of UH. UH president Renu Khator responded by suggesting the two schools schedule a game.

“You come to Houston to play Rice right?” Khator said, according to Jack Flagler of Community Impact Central Austin.

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/UHpres/status/1177621348870475776?s=20

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/jflagler/status/1177605207892664321?s=20

3 Likes

And his response…(cricket sounds).

Honestly though, I don’t care to play them. I’m sure there will be some stipulation or manipulation to lessen our university.

14 Likes

Shade. lol :sunglasses::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

10 Likes

The only way that happens is if UT is forced to play us in a bowl game and even then they would try everything to get out of that too. They play Rice all the time in Houston so it is obvious they have no intentions to play the Coogs.

9 Likes

Shots fired! :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

It’s more to embarrass them about playing lowly Rice and ignoring us…Everyone knows they would never agree to play us.

10 Likes

I applaud her for being audacious and bringing it up. Maybe it will get a conversation started, particularly with people from both schools who don’t have firsthand knowledge of the history between us.
The fact that the big schools in Austin and Northwest Houston won’t play us or each other is so foolish. The amount of revenue from in-state games would be huge, and would benefit our state!
But I digress. This has all been said many times on this board.
Go Renu! Go Coogs!

15 Likes

They have only played rice twice since 2019 in Houston. 2019 and 2010. Since 2000 they have played rice in Houston 2003 2006 2010 2019. They’ve played 6 times since 2000 in Austin. UH wouldn’t agree to that schedule. 4 times at reliant and 6 in Austin.

2 Likes

This is how I feel, but good on Renu for calling them out.

10 Likes

“The only way that happens is if UT is forced to play us in a bowl game and even then they would try everything to get out of that too.”

I think UT is afraid of getting beat by UH. Their ego is so massive and their arrogance that they are better than UH is so great that they wouldn’t be able to live with the fact that UH beats them on the football field if UH wins the contest. If they beat UH, it’s no big deal. They are supposed to beat UH considering all of the advantages that they have over UH. However, if UH beats them then all hell breaks free and they would be the laughing stock for the entire year! That’s the mentality they have.

5 Likes

Justifiable criticisms for UT-Austin dodging us, but at least they did play us a few times after the SWC dismantling. Aggy and Title IX U haven’t played us at all.

All three have played SMU and Rice.

4 Likes

Way to call them out, Khator! Del Conte should understand, after being with TCU.

1 Like

She called them out and embarrassed them all while seeming very agreeable. Well done!

9 Likes

I wonder how did they respond after that!

1 Like

I have never heard of this event before. How come our president is there with their ADs? Why not Pezman? Just curious.

1 Like

Well…

Don’t expect to see her invited back to that event.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t do a 2 for 1 but I might do a 6 for 4. It’s a much better ratio.

2 Likes

Yeah, that would be an actual back and forth series.