UH Rugby: Sport of the Future?

4 Likes

Probably not the best use of our resources, but not a bad idea for schools that want a football-like sport but don’t want the football arms race. (Though men’s soccer might be better in this capacity.)

3 Likes

I played and love rugby but a men’s soccer program would make much more sense.
Our demographics are perfect to add a men’s soccer program to our women soccer program.

8 Likes

Agree.

4 Likes

Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love rugby. We start a rugby program then we will have to start a women’s program. I would love to but we barely have enough money for new uniforms.

1 Like

I wouldn’t go see a rugby game if you promised me a case of beer. I’d go see a Coog men’s soccer game though.

1 Like

I am telling you Munzell Rugby is a fantastic sport.
An old English saying:
“Soccer is a game of gentlemen played by hooligans”
“Rugby is a game of hooligans played by gentlemen”

7 Likes

Rugby whack, but I remember Speer… he’s been around a good while

Maybe but I’ve watched New Zealand rugby. It didn’t appeal to me.

1 Like

I misread his post and was thinking Munzell rugby was some kind of rugby that was actually interesting. I just realized he was actually addressing the funkmaster

2 Likes

Rugby was played in Houston before football was. Though short-lived, Houston HS fielded a rugby team just prior to converting to football in the late 19th century.

How is this on the Football board?

2 Likes

Just

1 Like

Egg shaped ball taken across the field to the endzone while trying not to get tackled… close enough IMO

3 Likes

Like posting about Bonobos on the Humans board.

If there is no board dedicated to bonobos anyway.

Would this be a club sport?

1. Title IX

2. I recall back in the days the Rugby team had a little, little, little, little bit of beverage problem.

Not to disparage a group of gentlemen 40 years hence.

Yes