UH sends wrong message in hiring Kendal Briles

2 of the players that were reported to the coaching staff were convicted of rape. One got 20 years. Another got time served plus 10 years probation.

It’s not a good look for us that the first document that comes out basically says the university realizes there is a chance for a lot of humiliation and they will fire Briles to save face.

“Because of his involvement at Baylor and his sorted past, Kendal will be watched closely.”

“Sorted?” It’s one thing when message board posters typo, but when journalists don’t know basic vocabulary, especially when it’s a key point…

1 Like

That’s not a typo. That’s a writer that doesnt know the proper word.

3 Likes

Typical…We should all be glad the word sordid wont be in the article…those kind of errors merely point to the current status of the Chron…they cant even spell or use a word correctly to get a point across…a negative point…

Agreed it’s not a typo. That’s poor grammar. Sad for a paid writer

1 Like

As far as the reporter is concerned, what did you expect? She is an OU grad.

Yeah, this article is an SJW hit piece. Doesn’t mean there aren’t truths and valid points made, it is simply not objective in the slightest. The journalist’s bias is heavy-handed.

4 Likes

The article would have been OK if that sanctimonious Creech hadn’t been involved.

Of course, the HC had her involved as they are always want to be seen as above the fray !!

It is an opinion piece which is just fine you can agree with it or not. It’s not a news article, it doesn’t even pretend to be.

3 Likes

She brings up a point I agree with, among all the emotional and speculative stuff. I would like to be reassured that there was a conscious effort to avoid the allure of winning at any cost. If Dr Khator or Pez can clearly say “We recognize that the major issue at Baylor has been the motivation to win games without regard for the cost to their students, community, mission, and values. We made every effort to soberly analyze this decision, beyond just taking precautionary measures, to confirm among ourselves that while this selection was made with the goal of increasing our on field performance, it was not made without the more important goals in mind,” then I’ll be totally fine with it.

3 Likes

They did. It is in the press releases.

1 Like

Yeah I just saw Major’s statement. Pretty much what I said, just was hoping for explicit recognition of the difference between us and Baylor. Their bad attitude goes back much further than their Briles years.

1 Like

Hey, I’m really ticked at the lack of winning this past season. I think he’s going to be great at the job but some things are bigger than wins and losses. I wish the program did not make this decision for the sake of winning. Pezman and Khator deserve some flack for this. And all parties involved better hope this giant, morally-questionable risk pays off.

This is also a terrible look for Major Applewhite, who also happens to be named in a sexual misconduct lawsuit at another big Texas university.

4 Likes

She’s a columnist and as a woman, she has a much more qualified perspective to talk about this stuff than male football fans do.

1 Like

Reporters and columnists aren’t the same thing.

1 Like

The fact that she is a woman doesn’t qualify her for jack crap other than being able to have a baby. It is her opinion and it is her job, but she is not some supreme moral authority because of her gender.

3 Likes

She has covered the Baylor scandal extensively. She knows what she’s talking about. I’m not a fan of every single column she puts out, but she’s not some unqualified hack spitting hot takes. She’s done the time and the research. She faces a litany of personal and professional attacks for simply existing as a female sports writer.

It doesn’t seem like you’re capable of such reflection, but you should take a long, hard look in the mirror for your dismissive, derogatory view of women.

3 Likes

This is sports. No one cares about what you just said.

Did she write a piece objecting when UT hired a Baylor assistant last year?? Just asking cuz I don’t seem to recall.

1 Like

You don’t frickin’ know me or how I view women. A person’s gender, race, religion, etc does not qualify them to be a moral authority. I am not attacking her personally. I said her piece wasn’t objective and it is filled with social justice babble. That is a critique of her work, something your generation doesn’t do a very good job of accepting.

2 Likes