Cougars favored by 3 on a neutral floor. Both teams pummeled St. Louis. Providence best wins: Boston College by 20 (who has since beaten Duke) and Washington by 7 (who has since won at Kansas). The Friars last 3 wins they have barely scraped by Rider, Brown, and Stony Brook by a combined 11 points. The Cougars are a better 3 point shooting team, FT shooting team, have a better rebounding margin, and take better care of the basketball than the Friars. This is a game UH has to have come March. It is easy to see the teams having similar resumes for an at large bid. On paper the Cougars are better.
Coogs really need to win this one for resume purposes.
• Providence brings an 8-3 record into Wednesday’s game after a 62-60 home win against Stony Brook on Sunday afternoon
• Friars have alternated wins and losses in their last five games.
• Providence has posted a 2-0 record at neutral sites with wins against Washington and Saint Louis during the 2K Classic in New York on Nov. 16-17.
• Against Stony Brook, Friars overcame a halftime deficit.
• Freshman forward Nate Wilson led the Friars with 15 points on 7-of-11 shooting and grabbed three rebounds… Junior guard Isaiah Jackson totaled 13 points with five rebounds, while senior forward Rodney Bullock added 12 points with five rebounds and a pair of blocks… Senior forward Jalen Lindsey snared a team-high nine rebounds and a game-high three steals in the win.
• This season, Bullock leads Providence with 14.8 points and 6.5 rebounds per game… Sophomore guard Alpha Diallo stands second on the team with 11.4 points and 5.0 rebounds per contest… Senior guard Kyron Cartwright leads the Friars with 6.0 assists per game.
• Head Coach Ed Cooley is in his seventh season at Providence and his 12th season overall as an NCAA collegiate head coach.
• Has compiled a 131-83 record at Providence during his career… Previously built a 92-69 record at Fairfield (2006-11).
• Wednesday’s game will be the first time Cooley has faced Houston and Houston Head Coach Kevin Sampson during their career.
• 1994 graduate of Stonehill.
Yes, all we have to do is travel 1500 plus miles, stay in a hotel…as opposed to a bus ride for them… to play on a “neutral” floor !
Guess all the teams we are playing at TSU this year have that same neutral floor.
Skimmed Providence’s board. They’re not confident about their team in this one.
Galen back in the starting lineup
5-5 with 15:46 left in the half.
Lot of sloppy turnovers both ways.
Is it me or does ESPN have a crush on the Friars coach?
Not just you
Zanna is giving us some good minutes down low. Only 1 foul so far too.
11-11 with 11:33 to go.
Bullock picking up 2 fouls is big. Had 6 points and 3 rebounds for the Friars and has to sit.
18-15 Coogs with 6:29 to go.
Friars controlling the tempo, but Coogs starting to get a lead.
Brooks all is forgiven about my road comments. You’re a stud let’s go. Wvb made a tough 3 too.
Shots are starting to fall and the Coogs are up 28-20 with 2:37 left
Let’s get another run before halftime and build a lead. Galen has the lane all night with their starting pg injured.
31-23 Coogs at the half.
Not pretty, but Coogs have a good lead.
Rob Gray with 2 or 3 wild 3 point attempts. That one at the end was really bad. To look as bad as we have we’re lucky to have the lead. Only played good for like a 3 min. stretch in that first half.
An 8 point lead seems pretty big for what PC has shown offensively thus far. Lot of balance in our scoring.