UH vs. Texas Tech ESPN2 Sunday, Nov 29th at 4:30P

you are looking at it from the wrong perspective…its not that losing to tech will be seen as bad, its that there is no other resume game on schedule…those other ranked teams will played 8-9+ other ranked teams before its said and done… this is an opportunity we wont haeve for the rest of the year

this is the only super touted team left on the schedule…its early but alabama is the only other team that might be seen as a touted game at years end, with cincy not projected good but the y are unknown at this point … (south carolina was blown out by liberty today, tulsa just lost to last place big 12 team, memphis lost to a project not good vcu team, usf lost to a -2 rhode island )

I’m not saying it’s not an important game. But it’s unrealistic to think we’ll go undefeated this year. A loss to #14 Tech is not going to be a devastating loss. It will be way worse if we lose conference games because, like you said, the conference isn’t all that good this year.

That said, I think we do win tomorrow. I think Mills joins the 20+ scorer list and Deeky and Grimes combine to lock down McClung.

its actually better to lose a conference game, itll be overlooked as an off night
you lose to texas tech and beat a bunch of nobodies, the committee will think its stat padding

I’m not buying that at all. I think the only way a loss to Tech hurts is if we get blown out. And I don’t see that happening.

2 Likes

Perhaps “Nervous” wasn’t the proper word. More like, I don’t feel good about this game. Tech is good enough to run us out of the gym if we have a subpar shooting night. But then again, both teams haven’t really played anyone yet. I agree that this game doesn’t define the season but I really want them to start 3-0, keep moving up in the rankings and add a signature win. I think the last time we have beaten Tech in anything is 2009? We need to get one over them.

1 Like

you are mssing the point… the loss wont hurt us…its about building a resume and we will not have this resume opportunity again

let me make a exagerated example to explain… we are texas southern , with #2 duke as its only non conference game…tsu wants an atlarge bid…losing to duke doesnt “hurt” texas southern…losing to duke ends texas southern only legitimate path to an atlarge playing in the swac… (again this is exaggerated to prove my point)…
its about resume building…

Gonzaga beats a bunch of nobody’s doesn’t seem to hold them back

3 Likes

it did for the 1st few years of their dominance…go back to the start of the mark few era…same record, same resume as they are getting now, and they were getting 6-7 seeds…make a few final 4 runs and people just start giving you the benefit of the doubt and start giving you #1 seeds…we do not have Gonzaga benefit of the doubt … non of the national media even think we are going to win tomorrow …all think we are going to run through the aac, because they arent high on the league

Wouldn’t ending your only legitimate path at an at-large in fact “hurt” you?

1 Like

Well I guess its a good thing we’re going to win tomorrow, Lol.

Go Coogs!

3 Likes

You know I greatly respect your opinion but I just disagree with you on this one. I think we’ve garnered enough respect that a respectable loss won’t really hurt our resume. I might be wrong, but I guess we’ll see. When (not if) we win tomorrow, this debate goes away.

2 Likes

every bracketology has us a 5/6 seed…and that was before memphis flopped and south carolina was blownout by liberty …where do you see us moving up in seed if we lost? those projection already account for us winning the aac…

i watched an espn preview of the game at 3 different halftimes today…all of them were just talking about how good texas tech was, and how they’ll be a top 5 team …another was talking about how texas tech is a final 4 team…non talked about how houston could win…the only thing they mentioned is that houston will win the aac … my point is that this is the only game that will change the status quo of how good of a team people think we are …(currently low top 20, 5/6 seed team)…

its not the end of the world if we lose, 5/6 seed isnt the worst thing in the world …just means we’ll have ot knock off a different top 8 team just to get ot the elite 8 …but id personally rather not see an elite team till the elite 8… but im with you hopefully its all a moot point and we win

1 Like

I feel like Tom Hanks in a league of there own “ We’re gonna win” that’s the only input I have on this discussion

1 Like

That assumes none of the teams above us are going to lose to teams they shouldn’t lose to. But that has already happened a few times in the first week of play. And it will continue to happen. If we take care of business, even without marquee wins, we’ll move up as others fall. That’s the way it happens pretty much every year for us. Even when the AAC is up, no one really respects it. So my mindset is always to just take care of business and let the chips fall where they may.

Common sense. A rare commodity these days . . . . . Great comment . . . . .

This game doesn’t mean that much. Of course a win is always nice but a loss is still a quality loss. We will move up this season because we will win a lot of games. Win or lose we are going to learn a lot and have some great video to go over the next 5 games before SC.

we are currently projected 4 total q1 games, 1 top 25 game … the idea that this game doesn’t mean much i dont get…
it doesnt mean much to entering the tourney, if that was our only goal… this game at the end of a shortened season will be the difference between 2-3 seeds

people noting that teams in front of us will lose too, those teams will get 12-13 other top 25 games after they lose…texas tech can lose and still get a 1 seed, they have H&Hs with baylor, kansas, wvu and everyone in the big 12 being a top 70 team.

no one is saying we are going to win out, but id take an upset from a conference member than this specific game (that could weirdly enough push 1 of them into being a q1 game)

1 Like

I agree it is an important game b/c TT is highly ranked! I do believe that if it is a very close game, it will give credibility to us regardless, as long as we we win the AAC!

Lots of semantics but beating a really good team (especially on the road or at a neutral site) and losing to a decent but not great team is much, much better for a tourney resume than flipping those results.

So this actually probably is our single most important game of the year unless this season goes really badly and we are playing in the AAC title game for an autobid but it’s nothing close to a must win either.

Seems some folks are prejudging our 2020-21 season, our NCAA tourney seeding and our tourney results on just this one game. I’m sure glad that CKS and our team aren’t so short-sighted. It’s a long, long journey and the season’s final results are certainly not pre-ordained.

By way of example, I remember winning a ton of money back in ~1985 in our inner-office calcutta pool with a #8 seed Villanova (which cost us ~$100) which beat a #1 seed Georgetown (which cost Archie Bennett, Jr. ~$2,500) in the national championship game.