UH - XFL Partnership already a success

3 Likes

From the article:

"While a portion of ticket fees might sound inconsequential, Houston’s 40,000 person stadium welcomed a league-high 17,815 attendance during week one, and sales indicators for week two are already outpacing that figure. For comparison, the university saw an average of 25,518 fans at five home games this season – which was the lowest for a home slate since 1962. "

That cannot even be close to being true. There is no way in the Dimel years we averaged that, even with tickets sold.

8 Likes

boy that is right…Dimel and Helton had years where we didnt approach 25,000, not even close to it…

2 Likes

Kind of makes you wonder what else FOS got wrong. Our average attendance in 2013 was 24,256. according to

It took me about 3 minutes to find this information. Sheesh.

1 Like

This really is a great arrangement with substantial money coming in to help with the athletic budget gap, and also brings in the casual non-UH fans to see the beautiful “urban” campus and facitities.

2 Likes

Briles and Sumlin had years below that too.

What are they doing to the locker room?

Et tu, XFL?

My figures only go back to 1965, but we bottomed out in 2002 (the year after 0-11) with average of 14,986 fans per game. In fact, there was a stretch between 1992 and 2009 where we never hit 25k. Dark days indeed.

FWIW, last year’s average would have been 28,019 if the Washington State game at NRG hadn’t officially been a “neutral site” game.

So far soaking it in Bud Light Seltzer.

1 Like

I recall going in and out of the gate a number of times to hit the NCAA mandate of 15K.

Those were some dark days for sure.

3 Likes

Yup…myself and several buds did the same turnstile tango, turning 3 guys into 12 in the stadium. And our attendance was abysmal…dark dark days indeed.

1 Like

I remember having someone hand me a ticket and asking me to go out and come back in to The Rob. This back when they tore the ticket and put the stub in the bag. We are like Cougar Sports Depression Era children and we don’t take success for granted.

5 Likes

I remember walking through the turnstiles and flipping it more times than i care to remember that year…standing their turning over and over and over…ticket dude didn’t say anything

5 Likes