UH's loaded lineup to lead the way on diamond

“It’s going to be a team that puts up seven to 14 runs a game,” said Davis, entering his fourth season at UH under coach Todd Whitting, who last month signed a contract extension through 2023. “There’s no holes in the lineup. This is the most complete lineup we’ve had.”

This is the quietest start of a baseball season in a while. No talk on the message board and in the press until this article. We may be a good hitting team this year, but baseball centers around pitching. Who are our weekend starters this year. Who is the closer.

Last weekend it was so cold. I went for Don Sanders and stayed a couple of innings and then left. More football weather than baseball. The pitchers were Lockhart and Bielomwicsz (I know I misspelled, too lazy to look it up). I don’t think they will be pitching in the season, but really curious who will be stepping up into the roles.

Guess we will find out tonight.

1 Like

I think everyone’s been focused mainly on basketball right now. They’ve kind of dominated UH talk over the last month or so. JD being out kind of hurts as well as he’s a big baseball guy and normally would have put out some previews

According to the official preview, Bielo will start off as the Friday starter, Randel goes Saturday, and Lockhart will get the Sunday task to begin the season. Definitely wasn’t what I was expecting, but they have the potential to be a solid starting three if they come through. Bielo’s arm is live; just needs to find control. Randel is a solid vet that is very consistent and is a good fit for the Saturday spot right now. Lockhart did well at times last year in the mid-week role when they needed him and has the ability to be good as long as he can control his stuff.

Key word will be control.

Henry will be the closer again. Beyond that, not sure how the rest of the pen will shake out. Should be interesting to see how the staff shakes out at the beginning of the year. Hopefully, the offense can carry the team for awhile until it gets settled.

No doubt.

Love Lockhart’s bat but he’s been wildly inconsistent on the mound for us. Last year in 20.1 innings he gave up 15 ER’s on 19 hits, 14 walks, and 6 HBP.

1 Like

No kidding about the quiet start, I was shocked when I learned that today was opening day.

It will be an interesting change of pace if the lineup is as good as some are saying, and we win games 14-10 instead of 2-1. Then again, if it isn’t as good as everyone says, that could be a problem.

2 Likes

Football bitterness probably turned off a lot of casuals, and then yeah basketball is soaking up a lot.

1 Like