Unappealing Football Game Times Not Likely to Change Under New AD

There are only two. And at the Tech game, the one on the north side ran dry at or just after half-time.

You can bring an empty bottle into the stadium. They had two water stations last year where you could fill your bottle this year (needed more.)

Agreed. I don’t mind 11:00 games but not when the temp is still in the 90s. I’m dying and can only imagine how the players feel. It’s not a good experience for anyone there and the mostly empty stadium looks terrible on TV.

Georgia Tech fans are not happy with 11 am kickoffs either

https://twitter.com/GTToddStansbury/status/997544744380223488
https://twitter.com/GTToddStansbury/status/997545492413386752
https://twitter.com/GTToddStansbury/status/997546404687073280

The tv contracts should be logical.

Until late October, no games before 4 pm in southern states. After then, allow them.

After all, I thought safety was an issue !!

Then again, ncaa and tv being reasonable
HA, whom am I kidding !!

1 Like

U of H does not make 30 million per year from TV like GT does.

If you calculate the revenue from having 7 full venues and compare it to the 4.5 million we get from AAC TV, the numbers would lean towards growing and maintaining a large fan base.

42000 * 30 = 1,260,000.00 per game
1260000 * 7 = 8,820,000.00

Without counting parking, concessions and donations we double the AAC deal on ticket revenue alone. (hypothetically
)

as long as the arizona and tsu home games at night I am good.

Back when I was a kid, LSU’s schedule didn’t start until the 3rd week of September and home games started at 8:00pm CST (there was no daylight savings time then). It was a lot more fan friendly the. Of course the LSU game was the center of the Baton Rouge social calendar and the more high society people would go to pre and post game coctail parties and would come to the games all dressed up. The women really tried to outdo each other.

But, being on TV was a rare event and no more than once a year – if they got on TV at all.

Yes
the good old days. UH games in the old days were almost always at night

TV was rare
of course, the coaches only made about $100K per year :sunglasses:

TSU definitely at night
and maybe Arizona if TV wants to satisfy west coast viewers

We’ll see.

We need a dome.

1 Like

A dome won’t happen, but UH leadership needs to seriously consider overhangs like the new stadium in Miami has.

1 Like

No reason TSU shouldn’t be at night; it won’t be on TV other than ESPN3 (maybe) and the team will have 11 days off prior to the next game against Tulsa. Coaches can’t pull a “Herman” and claim that the team needs to play at 11 against an FCS in order to get ready for the next game like what happened against Lamar 2 years ago.

Arizona, I’m not so sure about. The September 8th college football schedule isn’t exactly loaded with top games so the TV execs might try to put the game at 11 on ABC since it will be one of the better games of the day. Last year, ABC tended to use early season AAC/P5 games in that slot: Week2 - Cincy/Michigan, Week3 - UCLA/Memphis, Week4 - Houston/Texas Tech. Unfortunately, the allure of being on ABC will probably outweigh the fan preference.

I always thought that we would have overhangs with ANY new stadium design. Figured it was a given because of the sun. :frowning:

Because the stadium is situated East to West, overhangs will provide minimal (if any) relief to the North side as the sun is moving further South in the sky as the season wears on.

Cloud cover and night
probably only assistance.

1 Like

To think that games times in Houston at 11 a.m. is fine that tells you everything you need to know about espn. They do not give a damn about G5’s and they could care less if their imposed games times sends you to the E.R. ASU and Arizona I believe play at night. What is better? Grill under the sun with 80% humidity or seats in the heat at night? I can tell you all that the later is 100% better.
I understand your point Duce630 but our past exposure still has not given us a P5 invite. We need to keep winning, winning big and if possible make a mark at every game.

2 Likes

I wish they could do it but going to a P5 will mean that the stadium will be expanded.
We are not the Coliseum but we might want to invest into an awning system that can either retract or expand in case of stadium configuration.

2 Likes

I would rather play at 11:00am than 2:00pm.

1 Like

If you accept the TV money, then you play whenever they require you to. Even if we had 70,000+ fans at each home game, we would most likely be admitted into a P5 conference and still have to play whenever requested by their TV network partners to collect the $30+ Million/Year.

So I guess the best message is to quit complaining and concentrate on our personal role in helping UH to build up the season ticket base. And we need to invest in some large UH hats/caps and buy some more sun screen.

I would rather play at 11am for $30 mil rather than 11am for $2 mil.

3 Likes