OT: UNC Scandal(s)

I’ll add a few tidbits here as promised in the other thread regarding the UNC BOG and their flexible standards.

The NCAA cleared Jim Valvano of any involvement in the violations they found at State as did an internal investigation by NC State. The UNC BOG insisted on another investigation to reach the conclusion that Valvano had to be fired. This was primarily for taking some of the spotlight off of Dean Smith.

NC State’s athletic department suffered from having a Tar Heel Alum installed as AD right when this all happened. They guy got canned pretty quickly from his next job and the rampant mediocrity he installed lived on until Debbie Yow took over 6-8 years ago.

1 Like

The NCAA’s Division I Committee on Academics endorsed an academic integrity rules change Friday that, by its own description, takes aim at the long-running academic-athletic scandal at UNC-Chapel Hill.

According to an NCAA release, the change “would create an overarching bylaw to capture instances of systemic, willful disregard for academic integrity that impacted student-athlete eligibility or fair competition.”

The NCAA investigated UNC for a system of fake classes taken by 3,100 students, roughly half of them athletes, that ran for 18 years. The school received three notices of allegations during the drawn-out inquiry before the NCAA’s committee on infractions determined it couldn’t sanction the university in 2017.

Unreal, the saddest part about it is that the ncaa gets away with it. This reminds me that the ncaa…

Meanwhile at the ncaa headquarters…Office style.

Remember the ncaa…

Yes the ncaa…

Well what else can I say?

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article233693507.html

But at a meeting this week, the NCAA’s board of directors for the Division I schools that include big-money conferences such as the ACC and SEC decided not to pursue the reform. That decision wasn’t included in an NCAA news release Wednesday that announced the board “seeks to shore up academic integrity rules.”

The News & Observer learned the proposed reform had been dumped after obtaining a report from the NCAA that was prepared in advance of the meeting. The report, by the Division I Presidential Forum, said most member schools weren’t enthused about giving the NCAA that kind of authority over academics.

2 Likes

So a P5 School does the following:

• List item

Offers bogus classes
Gets caught cheating
Gets away clean free
Puts pressure on the ncaa to not have a specific rule about it

So these students are supposed to learn.
What kind of values is this School and the ncaa teaching?
These are students athletes right?

We get caught
We get sent to the G5 ditch
Are we supposed to be happy and shut up?
This is truly unreal. I am not into the Feds intervening but they ought to. It is long overdue.

3 Likes

They’re learning an important lesson for the real world of business. That if you deliver numbers in terms of revenues, ratings, merch sales, etc. You will get off a lot lighter than a non-delivering person.

I’m sure you’ve seen it, the guy who is a big asset to a company does something egregiously wrong gets a slap on the wrist, the less valuable employees do something less egregious gets fired.

The fact is really it’s just a culmination of 20+ years of the NCAA abdicating or in the case of Penn State losing in court what authority it does have to the point they are almost completely toothless.

2 Likes