Uncomfortable conversation - attendance

Yes we are always fighting getting fans to games but CDH is taking us to new lows. NOT including 2020, CDH has averaged 25,098 fans and 0/6 games have had 30K.

Applewhite - 31,210 with 7/12 over 30K
Herman - 36,100 with 13/15 over 30K and 1 at 29K
Levine (2014 season - only one at TDECU) - 28,311 with 2/7 over 30K

There have been 10 of 39 games at TDECU under around 25K not counting 2020. CDH owns 5 of them out of 6 tries and the only one not in that territory was his HC debut…

Our average should be right over 30K from the looks of the non CDH years. Under CDH we are probably losing about $1M/year at the gate from what we should. (6,000 people x 6 games x $30/ticket)

Looks like CDH is the blue ribbon loser here…or maybe it is actually UH?

10 Likes

We are back to Robertson stadium days of 15 to 20k maybe 25k if lucky.

6 Likes

His act is not charming

Two straight losing years

Underwhelming opponent

Equals

Bad attendance

This is nothing new, Herman complained about our attendance against Vanderbilt.

11 Likes

we have to improve regardless of who is coach, i’m running out of ideas

1 Like

Bad opponent
2 straight losing seasons
plus the pandemic is still a factor for some not coming

9 Likes

5 years of mediocrity will do that.

If we start winning, nights like Memphis in 2015 and Louisville in 2016 will be commonplace.

9 Likes

Were you there? If not then you are the problem.

12 Likes

Some of those seasons are during a pandemic and I am sure it is keeping some away. I know of a pretty loyal fan that skipped NRG against Tech because it was not open air.

The key for Holgersen is to win as many home games this year to send people home happy. I think we will have a more normal crowd for Navy.

10 Likes

2020 isn’t counted in CDH’s numbers. 5/6 of the games counted are from 2019 - year before COVID and in fact may bias FOR CDH since it is his inaugural year as HC with maximum new excitement. COVID not an excuse. Perhaps at most 5K more would have gone to game last night. Giving him 26K average instead of 25K - even so he is still the biggest loser of attended games by several thousand at TDECU.

1 Like

It also seems like UH has given up trying to create a good fan experience at the stadium anymore. The food in the club was horrible. A lot of the concession stands around the stadium were closed. Other than the $22 Turkey legs they are selling now the whole experience is poor. I’ll keep coming because I love the Coogs but Pez needs to step up his game.

17 Likes

If we continue with this low attendance it puts additional pressure on our Administration to replace Dana.

And there are LOTS of coaches who would take our job.

Wonder how Pezman’s conversations about being required to renegotiate Dana’s contract are going?

1 Like

Guys we just need more dorms. And mandate everyone to live on campus, with the most expensive meal plans. That will solve everything.

6 Likes

Who cares about attendance at this point? Why are you fguys so frustrated with every single thing about UH football right now? You guys want to find every single way to get CDH fired give it a rest and let the season play out. We are just about to be playing in the Big 12 very soon.

We are still battling a pandemic, and our football program hasn’t been having much success the past 2 years. I’ve heard from friends that UH is soon will be 100% face to face, and there are many students that are upset about that. I’m not saying that’s the reason people aren’t showing up, but please just calm down. We are in a pro city full of UT/A&M T-shirt fans.

Let’s win some more games and build the hype again. Hopefully by mid season we get some more fans, but why are you all so upset about it?

Not every single coach / personality in CFB is going to be Tom Herman. Let it go.

We are 2-1. Let’s beat Navy.

16 Likes

This is why I don’t get the anti 2-1 supporters AT ALL

Tulsa just played @ Ohio State. A small AAC school from Oklahoma was able to schedule them.

Say we did a 2 for 1 with Ohio State meaning we would HAVE THEM PLAY AT TDECU FOR ONE GAME

That game would be SRO…it would create a huge buzz for UH all week. UH fans who usually don’t attend will rush to get tickets. WHO CARES if We have to play two road games AT Ohio State. I personally, would love to see my Coogs play AT the horseshoe. I would make the trip just like I did for the AT Oklahoma game.

But, instead we act stubborn and hold true to our NO 2-1 philosophy. So instead…we schedule glorified scrimmage opponents like Grambling and wonder WHY there is no buzz and the attendance is poor. …not rocket science guys.

We have 4 games to schedule quality opponents Because we do NOT play a P5 Conference schedule.

Of course that is about to change

8 Likes

Exactly.

It’s more fun and better for the team when the stadium is full. That’s not happening right now, but I’m still going to go enjoy games.

The attendance issue isn’t one I can fix, so I’m not going to worry about it. I’ll just appreciate the easier parking and less traffic until it changes.

3 Likes

I said last summer that if we lost to Tech we could kiss the season’s attendance goodbye. I was surprised there were as many people there as were.

12 Likes

I have a small complaint. Those big coolers of water. The one on the visitor side was out of cups before halftime. Might be a good idea to have someone refill cups. Also in the past it is usually warm water. Might be a good idea to drop some ice in there during the game.

Why did each entrance for the rv lot have 3-5 people working it? I saw 40 to 50 people working the rv lot areas and that is just a huge wase of money.

1 Like

Texans and Longhorns have people all over the place that are knowledgeable and can help you with any questions you have.

UofH is small-time in terms of fan experience.

4 Likes

Amen, and, for what it’s worth, KU drew 23K yesterday, Wake Forest drew 29K ( against Florida State), and Duke drew 13K (against Northwestern).

2 Likes

I was happily surprised yesterday.

Attendance was higher than I expected.

Tacos my brother ordered were actually good.

A burger I ordered was hot and delicious. Same with the waffle fries.

Seatz is expensive as heck but I got my drinks within two minutes. Faster than if I’d gone to get them myself. Their food selection is atrocious, though.

5 Likes