Underdog Dynasty: 2019 AAC positional previews- Complete

Pissed me off beyond belief especially because we had talented returners. There are times but not every freaking time regardless of opportunity.

2 Likes

I’m so happy Apple Boy is gone. Now, I can enjoy watching coogs play ball.

What a farce he was.

I don’t understand how a guy can play the game all of his life, including the big stage that is UT, move through the ranks for years and when given the chance, appear to be so lost…

That’s easy some guys just aren’t high level head coach material. It’s a tough, high pressure gig. I don’t think I could do it, personally. Unfortunately for all first time coaches you either show you can do it, or you can’t. Major couldn’t, he checked all the boxes, but in the end when the lights were on her just wasn’t up to the task here.

1 Like
1 Like

First of all, I think Major while working on offensive staffs at several universities before coming to UH, was never really responsible for the offense (regardless of some who claim he was OC at these schools).

I personally do not think he was a good OC at UH, but had some very talented individual players who made him look good at times.

When Herman bailed like he did, RK and TF were so pissed that they made a bad hire and Major was thrust into a job which turned out to be the very definition of the Peter Principle for him.

Clearly if he aspires to be a HC, he should start at a much lower level and see what he can or cannot do.

1 Like

I think Major did have control of the offense at times, but he was never an exceptional OC. other than the 2015 UH team, every team that he was OC of either finished 7-6, 8-5 or 9-4 (2006 Rice: 7-6, 2007 Alabama: 7-6, 2011 Texas: 8-5, 2012 Texas: 9-4, 2013 Texas: 8-5). Outside of 2015, his records at UH were 9-4, 7-4, and 8-5. To me, that shows a pattern that he’s probably good enough to be a winning coach, but not really much more than that.

I’ve said this before, but I think he’d be a great coach at Rice, Duke, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt…basically a school that doesn’t prioritize top-level winning. He’d probably get them respectable and get them to bowl games. Either that, or he’d be good at Texas State, UTSA, North Texas, or UTEP where he could continue to recruit the state where people remember who he is.

Actually, I doubt he was ever the actual OC at those schools mentioned, but rather just on the offensive coaching staff. I think the UH job was his first actual OC job.

I did not and will not research this, so it is just an educated guess. I think he just “enhanced” his resume.

1 Like

He was the OC at Rice and Alabama. Not sure about Texas, but I’m pretty sure he called plays for the last 2 years. I would say that Rice folks were probably the only ones happy with the job that he did before arriving here.