Underdog Dynasty: 2019 AAC positional previews- Complete

QB
“1. Houston:** No one belongs in the same tier as D’Eriq King in this conference. Houston’s star accounted for 50 touchdowns last year, and deserves more respect than he’s getting. Competing for the backup position will be Clayton Tune and coach’s son Logan Holgorsen. If King shows that he’s completely recovered from his knee injury last year, it will be tough to stop him again in 2019. A tougher schedule awaits both King and the Cougars, so a decline in his production might be possible. Still, he’s the only one that belongs in this category.”

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2019/5/27/18530582/2019-aac-preseason-position-previews-quarterback-deriq-king-houston-ucf-usf-temple-navy-ecu-smu-navy

RB
" 7. Houston: Four seniors return for the Cougars, but only two will see time regularly. Patrick Carr took over the starting job last year, and looked solid. Mulbah Car isn’t a bad backup to have, but it’s the transfer that might beat out both of them. Texas transfer Kyle Porter decided to join Dana Holgorsen in Houston, and has the skills to win the job. D’Eriq King and the receivers will receive plenty of attention, so a dangerous running game only makes this offense more terrifying."

2019 AAC Preseason Position Previews: Running Back - Underdog Dynasty

WR/TE
“1. Houston:** No debate here. Houston’s talent and depth are far above anyone else in this conference. Marquez Stevenson, Keith Corbin, and Courtney Lark give the Cougars one of the best trios in the entire country, even if they don’t seem to get much respect. After that, there’s a ton of talent to go around. Bryson Smith’s one of the most versatile players in the AAC, and Jeremy Singleton and Terry Mark round out a great two-deep. D’Eriq King’s the man, but his receivers also help him out. After getting a full year of experience under their belt, they’ll really hit their stride in 2019.”

2019 AAC Preseason Position Previews: Wide Receiver/Tight End - Underdog Dynasty

" 4. Houston: The rushing numbers can be a bit skewed with a talent like D’Eriq King at quarterback, but the Coogs have the beef up front to wear down opponents. Josh Jones, Braylon Jones and Jarrid Williams, all entering their senior seasons, will have an opportunity to showcase themselves against Oklahoma in Week 1."

2019 AAC Preseason Position Previews: Offensive Line - Underdog Dynasty

" 7. Houston: It’s weird to see the Cougars so low, and even more strange to not see Ed Oliveron their roster. Isaiah Chambers showed in just four games that he can be an elite defensive end. He produced six tackles for loss, including 4.5 sacks in those first four games before being injured. Payton Turner and Aymiel Fleming also return, but need to show improvement. Dana Holgorsen brought in a few junior college transfers to help boost this group."

10. Houston: Joe Cauthen’s new scheme requires less linebackers, but hopefully that means better play. Leroy Godfrey and David Anenih are the only returners, but there’s potential joining them. Both could see time on the defensive line given their skillsets. Terrance Edgeston is a favorite to win a starting job after coming from junior college, and someone else needs to join him. Grant Stuard could see time at both defensive back and linebacker too in Cauthen’s 4-2-5 scheme.”

8. Houston: This could be an elite group by the end of the season, which is scary to say considering the Cougars finished dead last in passing yards allowed per game last year. Dana Holgorsen addressed that immediately in the offseason. Deontay Anderson and Gleson Sprewell should start, but they’ll be pushed by Jordan Moore (who was granted eligibility to play this season). JUCO All-American Damarion Williams has star potential, and the battle at cornerback should be intense. Don’t be surprised if this group makes a big turnaround in 2019.

2019 AAC Preseason Position Previews: Defensive Back - Underdog Dynasty

Special Teams

3. Houston: Dane Roy returns as one of the most consistent punters in the country, and he’s improved his average every year. Dalton Witherspoon made all of his 72 extra points last year and went 7-for-9 on field goals. Returners Marquez Stevenson and Bryson Smith didn’t score on any returns, but they’re dangerous with the football in their hands.

5 Likes

King throws the best deep ball in the conference and these guys definitely did their job on the other end with that top end speed. Something we lacked during Ward’s years at the helm. I hope King can improve on short and mid-route accuracy because I think Lark can absolutely destroy opponents over the middle if King can get the ball to him consistently. This is the most talented group of receivers I’ve seen come through here sans maybe Avery, Aldridge, and Harvey

3 Likes

Our 2nd string receivers would start for most teams in the AAC. With King healthy the offense will roll.

2 Likes

Cleveland, Carrier, and Edwards were pretty good. Patricks senior year he was looking like jerry rice out there.

9 Likes

AAC OL preview is out

1 Like

We’ve got some strong players in the mix on the OL, but very worried about our Guards.

We are going to be a top 5 offense this year. We’re elite everywhere.

Updated w defensive line. The 3 JUCO DTs & 2 DEs (each w a high SEC offer) should have a huge impact. I expect this ranking to be much higher at the end of the season.

I think we are elite at receiver and possibly the depth there. Question: How will we use Bryson Smith and are our 4 RS FR going to make an impact?
I think we are elite at QB
Like our backup situation.
Hope here is that we can get both backups in their 4 games and use a RS for both.

RBs I.like the 3 we have but would not call them elite. The 3 we figure are going to play should be anle to make plays and will run hard…
Question will be if anyone else emerges either for the rotation or as situation players.

The OL still has much to prove and I cannot.call them.close to elite until I see it, even the 3 returning starters. This does not mean I do not feel good about this position…I think the 3 returning can each be all conference performers. We need to cover the two guard spots of course. To me if we cannot find two good guards from our previous recruits and two grad transfers than that means we have done nothing the past few years.
My question will be to get our best 5 on the field what combination will we use and how far will we take it if it means players switching positions?

1 Like

LB just posted in the OP.

I know that they aren’t going to rank our LB high due to inexperience, but I have a good feeling about this group this year. Lot of talent that’s just waiting to be unleashed.

3 Likes

With a UH LB drafted 4 years in a row, it’s odd to not have an an obvious NFL guy(s) at LB.

I think this unit will surprise. The LB core this year waited behind some outstanding talent. They just need the snaps.

From what you read-this system will use a safety/db type as a 3d LB often.
Who is that going to be?

1 Like

I think Stuard is the most likely candidate for that spot, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Moore/Sprewell/Anderson play in that role either. I think there will be a lot of rotation in the secondary to keep them fresh.

1 Like

After the 2014 season we were left with some young unproven talent at LB with our best senior Oliphant having departed. We had a senior returning that had been OK but less than spectacular. But in his senior season with a good DC and better coaching, ERob blossomed and those young guys stepped it up.

I think we are in the same situation this year with E. Gooden and Anineh, both of whom I think are ready for breakout seasons, and some other young guys I think are ready to step up. I think Edgeston may be a big help as well.

3 Likes

I think we may see more of Jordan Carmouche than we think right now

1 Like

Carmouche and Edgeston were the supposed starters at LB coming out of spring.

1 Like

Defensive Back preview up in the OP

Updated w Special Teams

" 3. Houston: Dane Roy returns as one of the most consistent punters in the country, and he’s improved his average every year. Dalton Witherspoon made all of his 72 extra points last year and went 7-for-9 on field goals. Returners Marquez Stevenson and Bryson Smith didn’t score on any returns, but they’re dangerous with the football in their hands."

1 Like

It’s hard to score when you are ordered to fair catch everything.

11 Likes

The biggest wussification of UH football was fair catching every ball refusing to return it.

9 Likes

I try to not be a complainer but this drove me nuts. It was even worse watching from the stands at home games because you could see the space available on some of those fair catches.

3 Likes