Update on the UH Master Plan, Wow!

So will all this be down by 2027 or if not what’s the time frame?

I am not sure of the time frame but based on the renderings, if UH wants to get all that done by 2027 they are going to need get going a lot construction which will includes the sight of cranes for a few new buildings.

Has all of this been fully funded an approved? I think the renderings are concepts of what the university could look like by 2027. I think the university will do something on a scaled-down version.

What do yall think about the the new gateway monuments type A and B ?

The more inspiring and vertical one , type A, will be located at University Blvd ( think Rec Center) and near the new college of medicine building. I like them both , but I favor the existing Cullen/45 split obelisk. Based on numbers of new gateway monument markers there will be a total of 2 Type A and 5 Type B installed around campus.

Dr RK said all should be done by 2027 except the cent. plaza which is dependent upon funding
so it sounds like we’re going to have an awesome campus by 2027. I emailed her today and she responded.

4 Likes

So with the removal of the current College of Education building to open up the central plaza, where are they going to build a new College of Education building at? Maybe that IDEA center mentioned in the renderings something to do with it.

Update on two of the buildings

Hilton expansion/renovation

The HUB (replacement for the satellite… RIP)

Honestly, I like The Hub a lot, but the satellite will always have a special place.

8 Likes

Sweet look for the Hilton!!!

I was hoping for something more eye catching for the Satellite replacement. It’s one of the
more busy interior parts of the campus. Square box building just looks bland.

Agree the Hilton addition looks very nice and will nice addition.

1 Like

True, but not a lot of room to work with in that area. I’m guessing that shape maximizes useable space.

I ate a lot of bean burritos and soft tacos from the Satellite Taco Bell–too many, probably.

You know what is sad, when I attended UH I probably spent all of 10 minutes in the Satellite. I spent all my time at the UC gameroom it in the Honors College lounge.

1 Like

I spent time in both really, have great memories of the Satellite both pre and post flooding.

1 Like

UH Main Campus updates

Tech Annex Building to be replaced by the IDEA Lab. Hopefully, this means the eventual return of COT back to the main campus. I understand why they moved to the sugar land campus (really worn down buildings on the main), but all the UH colleges should be headquartered here.

Old Law Building to be replaced by the Hobby School of Public Affairs Building

UHS Medical Research Facility
Looks like UH is going to be a part of the massive TMC3 building project

UH Sugar Land Building

Overall, glad they’re replacing the old tech annex and the old law school with new updated buildings, those were definitely some of the worst-off buildings on the main campus. Interesting that they’re taking part in the TMC3 campus, this is honestly huge for UH (especially the medical side) and the Houston area. Lastly, Sugar Land is looking like a huge buildout in the coming years, and I hope they eventually bring back the COT to the main campus when Idea Lab is done.

Looking like a bright future for the UH system.

Source: BOR-6B - BoardBook Premier

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. That’s exciting we are going to be part of the TMC project but i would like for them to make that building way bigger than 10 stories and look into the future and not just the now. There’s probably not enough funds and I get that for a project that big but it doesn’t hurt to ask and look for new donors. Especially ones in the Medical side.

As far as that tech building that one was due for a new one. My cousin graduated from that one and a couple of other friends and I’ve been there a bunch of times and that college needs a new building badly.

Thank you again for sharing.

2 Likes

It’s interesting how that Hobby building is contemplated as being on the site of the former law library.

Query: what is to be done with the rest of the former Law Center buildings?

1 Like

I can’t wait for the Cullen st to be done along with other entrance markers. The Cullen st deal had to done and will be great when visitors arrive or new students checking out the campus. They are making UH a more student friendly campus vs all the cars flying by.

2 Likes

Watching this video, looks like UH will be in the building across from the parking garage on parcel J. Also from the video and various renderings, the UT research campus is still very much a thing…

3 Likes

What a bunch of a holes

2 Likes

Thank you for posting all this. The UT System Research park is across OST in the video and
map. This is different from the property UT purchased outside of loop 610 for the data center
thing 2 years ago that caused such a ruckus. And they still have not sold that land as they were
suppose to. But I doubt anybody at the state level cares about them selling it anymore.

3 Likes

That’s right, my mistake. Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing, but in any case I’m glad UH is getting in on this project. It will be exciting to see how the UHCOM grows and impacts the university.

1 Like