Upon Renegotiating The PAC 12’s Media Contract

I’m visualizing the PAC needing more eyeballs. What kind of sway would SMU have on the Dallas market?
OSU , while being a Great school, doesn’t offer a large market.

2 Likes

Confusing thing is if they offered us bb and football only did they offer tcu the same and we both declined for now? Also if true , why did Pez and tillmam act like big 12 was the only option. It would seem if the big 12 declined then we could have taken the bb and football option for now.

If PAC do indeed expand, I think it would be UH, TCU, KU and ISU. I don’t know if PAC care for Lubbock or Stillwater. That’s 2 AAU universities they’re adding and 2 large media markets in Houston and DFW.

TCU was invited in 2010 and committed to join the big east in 2012. However, they renegade in 2011 and joined the big12 instead. The didn’t pay the 15 million exit since they didn’t join the big east , but settled for 5 million for breach of contract or reneging on the deal.

The same would apply to us if we accepted a pac12 invite

3 Likes

I think a true alliance with the pac12 is more likely.

They can play in texas and add a big rivalry game with Utah and BYU to their TV inventory.

They can do this and still maintain their identity.

1 Like

Kind of conflicted about us leaving B12 due to rivalry games and geography. As noted Chancellor Khator been working on this for sometime. PAC calls we go. Academic wise better conference, definitely more stability. They roll with B1G conference wise historically. We do have some history with UCLA basketball wise. As noted better cultural fit. I believe PAC is the end game. I know the football centric alumni think it would suck and probably will. But you have to look at the long game. We could still schedule a few Texas teams for our out of conference games for this who need that Texas in game fix. PAC is going to come to calling one day we just need to be ready and we are getting there. Nobody can hold us down except for ourselves. Dream Big do Big that us. Eat’em Up.

5 Likes

Uh…yes.

If you have any business sense you are.

Other than a couple of Texas Tech games, UH has not done well getting games like this while in the American.

IF conference realignment is driven mostly by football to maximize revenue
IF the Big XII is stable
IF the Big XII has a spot at the CFP table

Then you stay in the Big XII. You will maximize revenue with Baylor, Tech, Ok State, TCU coming to TDECU than you will with Arizona, Arizona St, Oregon St, etc.

1 Like

The original article came out of Ft. Worth and TCU. TCU is the least likely school in the Big 12 to get an invite to the PAC. The PAC is extremely proud of being an association of research universities as well as an athletic association. TCU is not in any way shape or fashion a research university. They are R2 and only spend about $7M on research. If, and I don’t believe it was, the PAC was looking to expand into the central time zone the prime schools would be KU (AAU) OSU (R1) TT (R1) and UH (R1). Additionally, The PAC would not TCU for all sports and UH for football and basketball only. I just don’t believe there is any truth to any part of this story.

2 Likes

The article was out of the FWST. That’s not posting-from-the-basement sports blogging.

I doubt he just made that up while eating at McDonalds and his editors just let him spin a yarn.

Now don’t get me wrong on this…I’m not saying the Pac 12 shouldn’t want Houston, I think maybe they should, but I just don’t think they do want them…The PAC is just a few short years from the renewal of their TV rights deal and if they really thought it added value to add Houston or others they wouldn’t have shut the door on expansion a few weeks ago. Evidently the ACC, B1G, PAC 12 alliance has convinced them that they can get content in more eastern time zones, without needing to expand. So they aren’t going to do that, but I do think the Big 12 will get stronger because the ACC will die in about 15 years, and the Big 12 will have an option to add ACC leftover schools like Miami, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, Boston College, and perhaps add Memphis in some form of package. I really do think the Big 12 will be one of those 4 P4 conferences…SEC, B1G, PAC, BIG 20

What do you think will happen in 2036!!

Edit: I kid I kid!! :grin::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Not sure that it’d be better, even for basketball.

Consider this. We’d have to play many mid-week conference road games in basketball every year.

Those games would likely start at 9:00pm central time, or possibly even later. Staying up to watch them during the work week/on school nights is a pain.

The central time zone focused Big 12 is a better option, given that.

As for stability, I don’t see the Big 12’s current arrangement collapsing. None of the teams really have any other places to go. If the B1G wanted Kansas or Iowa State, then that would have happened already. I don’t see the B1G taking any other Big 12 school, given that none are AAU. If the PAC-12 wanted Tech, UH, TCU, etc., then they could have invited them already. They didn’t. Thus far, the ACC hasn’t showed any interest in Cincy or WVu (which would be closest) which suggests that the ACC also wouldn’t be interested in any of the more geographically remote Big 12 members.

This combination looks to be more stable than people give it credit for being, given that.

The schools that could depart have departed by now. The others, plus the new four, are what’s left going forward.

We just got into the Big 12 after 26 years of trying to get into a Power 5 conference and now people want to leave and go to the Pac-12, which has numerous problems, including a not-so lucrative TV deal, lack of interest of college football on the West Coast and games in the pacific time zone.
The addition of UH and BYU, as well as Cincinnati and UCF, is going to keep the Big 12 a top-notch conference.
Nationally people are not watching games on the West Coast. Other than USC, Oregon, UCLA and Stanford nothing else in that conference interests me.
Oregon State, WSU, Cal, the two Arizona schools, that’s hardly an improvement over Tulsa, Tulane, East Carolina and Tulane.
And what happens if UH joins Pacific-12 and USC and Oregon bolt for Big Ten? It’s hello Conference USA because Big 12 and AAC aren’t taking us back.

6 Likes

If we were in the PAC we would only play 3 west coast games. The rest of the conference games would be in the CTZ, or if we so choose the OOC games could be Central or Eastern Time Zone.

Are you sure? What about basketball?

Pardon the oversight. Basketball would be a different story. That would take some deciphering.

But football would be 3 conference games within the East (Our) pod, one home and away in the mountain pod, one home and away in the California pod, and one home and away in the northwest pod. That totals nine conference games with three OOC left to schedule local or eastern teams of our choice.

Looking frwd to the BIG12 in 2023. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Stop it already with the Pac 12 talk
I’m getting ready to put a Big 12 sticker on my motorhome spare tire carrier!

10 Likes

All in!!!

7 Likes