Urban Meyer Slams Former OC, Herman

that’s probably the right call tho

Any rational coach would kick a field goal to make it a 2 score game at that point in time (early 3rd quarter).

We can nit-pick calls. The truth is, the defense was beaten. It showed no signs of the Todd Orlando defense we watched the last two years.

I am guilty of giving our coaches more credit than they deserve and not giving the players enough credit. Something about 3rd Ward makes a young man hungry and driven.

3 Likes

This has a lot to do with recruiting! Ohio St is at number #1 currently, and UT is number #2. They’re both going for Anthony Cook, the number 1 rated CB in the country via Houston, Tx (Lamar HS). Who ever ends up getting him, probably will end up with the number #1 rated class for 2018. Coach Herman and wife are famously known for their subliminal messages on Twitter. Knocking other competitor schools down. Judas is a twitter diva queen.

Makes me feel better that UH hired the right head coaching candidate.

Sam Darnold and co will whip them in LA.

1 Like

So when things go right immediately at UH, it’s not that he got left a stacked cupboard by Levine, it’s that Orlando turned lesser parts into chicken salad. When things don’t go right immediately in Austin, it’s not a coaching failure, it’s not being able to sprinkle magic dust on his players.

Can’t have it both ways.

4 Likes

Well, I forgot about her inability to stay out of the fray:
https://twitter.com/belletjh/status/905944837442211840

#notmensa

Please, please let SJSU beat UT this weekend. They don’t have to score 50+…just win.

2 Likes

Our players bought in to his philosophy from day 1, especially the seniors. Those were his words more or less. I have not heard him say anything like that with respect to his UT players. If they haven’t bought in by now, it’s going to be a long, long season for them.

This is funny as the rift with 610 was largely about their use of the word “meeting” and how Herman shouldn’t get hung up with the literal translation.

1 Like

It doesn’t pass the smell test.

I don’t know what that means.

WHO ARE YOU!?!?! HOW OLD ARE YOU!?!?!??!?

Nah.

1. With a 16-point deficit, you’re gonna need at least 2 TDs regardless. All that cutting the lead to 13 will do is take away the need to convert 2-point conversions.

2. At that point in the game, Maryland was averaging a little over 3 points per possession, even counting the 33-second end-of-half drive. If Maryland keeps scoring at that clip, taking Field goals is only going to put you farther behind.

3. The kicking game had proven to be a little bit of a gamble by that point – each team had returned a blocked kick for a score, and Texas had missed another one.

4. UT’s offense – and especially the passing game – wasn’t doing as badly as their drive chart would indicate. Even counting sacks against the passing game, they were averaging over 5 yards per pass attempt, which means they had a little over a 50% chance of getting it (assuming all attempts are the same, but they’re not. Still, close enough.) Given that Field Goals are only worth half as much as a TD, those are definitely good enough odds to go for it.

If you’re not scoring TDs on 4th and goal, you’re not gonna make a 16-point comeback. Going for it was the right call. It just didn’t work.

1 Like

BS - the rate of conversion on 4th and goal from the 5 yard line is not good. Probably ~20% which is very poor odds. Anyone rational would take the 3 points and begin the comeback. Still a long, long way to go so early in the 3rd quarter.

I recall UH making a 30+ point comeback at La Tech a few years ago, and UCLA just made a 30+ point comeback against ATM last week. So a 16 point deficit isn’t really very big, and reducing it to 13 points and gaining some momentum is a whole lot better.

Herman making that call was just about as bad as the video of him swinging a sledge hammer in the UT locker-room.

Scoring provides positive momentum. Failing to score on 4th down provides the other team with positive momentum.

Football is a game of emotion.

I still remember how dejected Dana Dimmel’s players were after multiple failed 4th down conversions.

Take the points until you reach desperation time at the end.

I’m appalled that so many of you actually watch those bastards play any sport !!

5 Likes

If momentum is important, it’s certainly important to seize the momentum of a 70-yard drive by converting the TD.

I’d argue that a stop in a goal-to-go situation provides the other team with positive momentum regardless of whether the offense kicks a field goal or is stopped entirely.

The stats pretty much say if you are in field goal range with 5 yards or less on 4th down you should always go for it unless it is in the 4th quarter for the tie or the lead.

I think the bigger play-calling mistake in the game was going for it on 4th and 4 from the Maryland 46, only down 3, with 12 minutes left to go in the game. Add on to that, Maryland just had to insert their true freshman QB on the road and it seems like the smart play would be to punt and pin them deep.

Instead, Buechelle is sacked, Maryland takes the ball 51 yards on the next drive and scores a TD to go up 10. Texas then punts from their own 21 on the next drive with 7:24 to go. Not sure why you punt there, as you’re down 10 now and you just went for it.

I will say that I didn’t watch, just followed along on twitter and the box score.

I’m with you. Never walk away from points especially with nearly an entire half to play. If UT had comeback and lost by 2, no one would be questioning the stupidity of going for it in that situation. It was his ego, I think that Made him do it.