UT-Houston?

Anyone advocating UT-Houston can’t be acting in UH’s interest so we question where your loyalities lie. However it’s not going to happen. The funding for this isn’t there and last time they told UT if you proceed we’re cutting funding for the UT system proportionately so UT backed down. Funding higher ed in Texas like many states is at a all time low and this isn’t needed and our legislature agreed. It ain’t happening.

3 Likes

Once again, no one has really advocated for it… That’s an example of people reading what they want to read. The most that has been done is a few of us haven’t wailed and gnashed our teeth hard enough.

HCNY: In most states, there wouldn’t be 4+ public university systems and we would probably be UT-Houston. There’s no way the system we have is an efficient use of tax payer dollars.

Me: I agree with HCNY, in hindsight the state probably shouldn’t have let this happen back in the day. Plus this was all started because Eatemup thought McCombs weekend classes were the start of the takeover when they’ve been going on for years. So this thread is faulty.

Norbert (closest to advocation): Bring it on I’m not afraid of competition, and it will be a huge economic boon for the city as a whole.

That’s it, no one is pushing real hard for it here. And if we’re not stomping feet hard enough… Sorry I guess.

1 Like

Frankly, UH would be better off as UT-Houston.

1 Like

I agree. As a UT Houston school, we could be as good as UTSA, maybe even SHSt and/or S. F. Austin, or maybe like in the state of LA, where we could be like LSU Monroe of LSU Lafayette . . . . . I do believe we all desire to be so blessed . . . . .

3 Likes

You are being sarcastic, but the school you failed to mention is UT- Dalllas. They are benefitting from the funding UH should be getting from the PUF, and they will soon surpass us academically, if they haven’t already.

1 Like

How about that utDallas football team! And track, and all other Olympic sports. We provide so much more to the under valued (and diverse opportunities) than we could ever under the ut thumb.

1 Like

Well that’s just kicking the hornets nest right there.

If you dig hard enough TSU was founded with the help of UT and was in position to take off quickly but back room politics killed things. TSU was supposed to get a medical and dental school along with law as it was all under separate but equal but some board members with ties to Prairie View at the time and politicians kept standing in the way and killed it off.

They still grew fast but UH gets going and then the satellite campuses (especially downtown) in my opinion which was to stymie TSU opens and now your competing for the same student.

If UT invested in TSU and enforced mandates whole different story is written. Prairie View won’t be a real threat ever due to location and no real professional school. Their competition is getting kids at the rapidly growing Lone Star

We’re plastered all over houston and in the backyard of PV in Katy so we shouldn’t be worried about what UT does.

1 Like

So you are saying that UT-Dallas gets PUF $$$ !!

I doubt that. I feel they get money out of the same pot as UH.

Of course, if you have information saying different, please share.

No we wouldn’t be better off as UT Houston. We’d be like utep. We’re better off as our own brand. If it’s they wanted decades ago, it can’t be good for us.Ridiculous discussion to even think we’d be better off.

3 Likes

If we were a ut subsidiary, we would never have been blessed with Madam Khator.

3 Likes

Quick question for the board: If you were president of the UH system and Dr. Strange dropped into your office to tell you that UH would immediately become an AAU University and top-50 in the USNWR rankings if and only if we dropped all athletics, would you take that deal?

Nah.

1 Like

Regarding professional schools, Prairie View is actually pretty good in Architecture. My architect wife works for one of the biggest firms in Houston, and there are definitely Prairie View grads there.

UT- Dallas is in the UT system which is one of two systems that receive money from the PUF.

How the UT systems decides to allocate the PUF money to their satellite campuses is up to their Board of Regents, ditto for the TAMU system.

So YES UT-Dallas has access to PUF funds.

Certainly not in college sports.

And, UTD has done well. It’s a really good school but that’s the only other UT system school doing really well. Compare that to what happens in the UC schools in CA.

Bingo, if you told me that we’d be getting the California system treatment, I would be more inclined to support the argument that we might be better off in the alternate timeline as UT-Houston. However, I’d expect the UT system to operate more like it is now and if they chose to focus UTD we’d be screwed like the rest of the system.

1 Like

I have to disagree. Years ago, TT and UH backed a plan for funding of their 2 universities. After the Texas government approved such a plan other Texas universities also had access to that money. UTEP, UT Rio Grande valley, UTSA, Texas am Commerce…etc…

All it served was to dilute money to TT and UH and keep PUF funds exclusively for ut and a$m.

I do not believe that they have to share ANY of the PUF.

2 Likes

UT is reaping 99% of the benefits of the PUF. Look what’s happened to their endowment from the Permian boom (until recently) over the last decade.

1 Like

…a la UAB to Alabama. UAB in late 1990s got too big for their Britches when Alabama pulled the smackdown.

1 Like