UT-Houston

I still would like to see an investigation into this. Did we, the taxpayers, overpay for this land?

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/tough-legislative-session-for-the-system-and-chancellor-mcraven/uB1uG5pkcAq7nXZhWEpCwL/

So…Today is the end of February and no report as McRaven promised Sen Whitmire:

Google Search Link: UT System chief says Houston land acquired can be fully developed - Google Search

McRaven has a local advisory group that has been assessing what the university should do with the tract. He has said the land is possibly the largest contiguous site near the center of Houston and he expects to receive by the end of February the advisory group’s recommendations on how to use the land.

“The UT System completed all the usual and required appraisals, environmental due diligence and title review prior to closing on the different portions of the property,” McRaven wrote earlier this month in a five-page letter to Whitemire. “There are no environmental or other conditions that will prevent full and complete development on all of the property, except for required water retentions.”

Google Search Link: UT System chancellor acknowledges land acquired in Houston was largely an old oil field - Google Search

McRaven assured Whitmire and other lawmakers that the system did its due diligence before the property purchase. McRaven said an environmental assessment was conducted, but the Houston Chronicle could not immediately obtain that review or reach consultants who did it for comment. The university spokeswoman said Tuesday she couldn’t immediately provide a copy of it.

It’s dead. UT selling off the land.

Duce630Dustin K
21d

I still would like to see an investigation into this. Did we, the taxpayers, overpay for this land?

Of course, we did. I have read that the whorns paid to one of their big donors several times as much as he had paid for the land just a few months earlier! One or more people should go to jail for this!

1 Like

Pwnd!

1 Like

Guessing the contamination story that came out yesterday and Tillman calling for a press conference today were the final straws.

McRaven and UT got beaten badly on this one.

8 Likes

Awesome! I consider that a big win for UH.

2 Likes

Never turn your back on those bastards !!

They may force UH to purchase that land…at a profit for ut !

1 Like

Well, that $215MM was well spent. Way to go, jackwagons.

If so, we turn it into UH Medical Center

2 Likes

That whole thing just smelled bad. I’m glad that their hand was called.

2 Likes

Well done Coogs. Well done. Well done for everyone who did not sit idly by and who let their voices be heard. And way to go on all the activism.

4 Likes

I was stuck in traffic for a while (bad accident/pray that everyone is fine) but THIS HAS TO BE OUR BIGGEST WIN TO DATE. The future of our University was at stake.This is how important this decision was. Now we have to keep pushing forward and aim for the very best. Mrs. Khator and Mr. Fertitta are the leaders that got this "undone"
uta’s retreat with their tail between their legs is one thing but a lot of money was wasted. In today’s education budget this is indeed unacceptable. Tax payers should demand answer(s) Someone has to be held accountable.
GO COOGS!!!

3 Likes

“I don’t know whether there was a tipping point, but there was certainly a recognition that this was impacting our ability to showcase the work being done in our system,” he said.

Sure, Bill, kind of like UTEP in danger of losing accreditation.

200 Million doesn’t get wasted without someone getting fired and/or arrested. This story ain’t over yet.

2 Likes

Google Search Link: UT System cancels big Houston expansion - Google Search