UT-Houston

And another article. This makes 3 articles and 2 letters to the editor while they refuse to publish anything not pro-UT on this matter. Got Kirksey on record in this one as well, the UT alum that sold the property to UT and made out like a bandit with PUF money.

Google Search Link: Real estate community sees 'missed opportunity' in failed UT plan - Google Search

UT doesn’t have an immediate plan to sell the property, but a spokeswoman said the sale will be transparent.

“We will be developing a strategy and timeline for the disposition of the land that will protect the UT System’s investment,” Karen Adler said in an email. “The process of divesting of the land will be open and transparent, in accordance with UT System policy.”

At this point, might as well take a shot/drink anytime the Chron posts anything related to UT-Houston and the “missed opportunity” for the city of Houston. Do you think this will end anytime soon?

1 Like

Once the land is sold it will.

Make that 4 @pray10

Yep…this one is a bit better in that they actually say that the plan was doomed without a solid partner and that UT couldn’t find that partner.

1 Like

Finally. One that’s on our side.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/amp/Missteps-on-Houston-land-plan-cost-McRaven-11092204.php

1 Like

Fantastic article.

McRaven was absolutely conned on this deal by the UT booster that sold him the land. Then again, he was trying to cement his legacy early and hopefully ride that to a high-up political cabinet appointment. Trump’s victory killed those chances and the lack of ability to find a partner on the land deal killed any further chances they had in Houston.

I wouldn’t be surprised if McRaven steps down at some point over the next year or two. He’s basically tainted goods right now.

1 Like

What I haven’t seen in any article is just how much space did this data center need? I can’t imagine it easy 300 acres.

1 to 5 at most, unless they are building the biggest data center on the planet…which would kill the state’s budget or take about a century to build.

The whole thing was “ready, fire, aim”.

1 Like

Bingo.

Whole goal was to create UT-Houston; McRaven even admitted as much when asked immediately after the announcement (story changed the next day) and the initial renderings with the baseball field backed that up). He never thought that the opposition would be so strong and had to come up with a Plan B.

5 articles now. This was written by a UT-grad, can you tell? Worst of the bunch

Google Search Link: UH needs to toughen up and play in the big leagues - Google Search

Funny that this article came out the same day that the UT/A&M contingents were in Austin whining about how they can’t afford to give up PUF money to the other systems in the state.

1 Like

It’s funny because they feel threatened.

2 Likes

That article made me sick to my core

1 Like

Turner plans to call on Rice University, the University of Houston, Texas Southern University, Texas A&M University and the University of Texas to come to the table and “make this happen,” he said in an interview with the Houston Chronicle’s editorial board.

“We ought to be able to play in our unique space, and I think UT was onto something,” he said. “I don’t think it was explained very well, and I don’t think the initial approach went well. And people therefore became defensive.

“But the Institute for Data Science is needed. I think it’s timely,” the University of Houston alumnus continued. “It can be quite innovative, and we shouldn’t miss the opportunity. So, let’s say UT sells the land to UH. But it needs to be collaborative in nature.”

I wonder who is making the push for Turner to do this?

https://twitter.com/lindsayaellis/status/860200273033273345
https://twitter.com/JeffSyptak/status/860200156901363712
https://twitter.com/JeffSyptak/status/860199869885153280
https://twitter.com/lindsayaellis/status/860233446345650176

Turner speaking at the State of the City address…

If UH is given an equal share of this deal, I imagine they’ll take it. UT will have to make concessions for it to happen.

More than likely, they take their ball and go home. Been their M.O.

2 Likes

Google Search Link: Turner, Fertitta endorse data center plan, call for collaboration - Google Search

The rag is reporting that Mrs. Khator is not endorsing the idea. What is the truth behind this statement? Why would not Mr. Fertitta and Mrs. Khator be on the same page?

Like I thought, nothing’s changed with UH’s position:

Message from Fertitta:
http://uhouston.imodules.com/controls/email_marketing/admin/email_marketing_email_viewer.aspx?sid=1442&eiid=6820&seiid=4051&usearchive=1&puid=23192f87-d711-44f1-be34-d633d7278e11

Dear University of Houston Alumni:

Much has been written in the media about the University of Texas System’s data project in Houston. In my business and civic experience facts often become blurred despite best efforts, and I want our alumni to clearly understand the University of Houston’s position on this issue.

The University of Houston’s opposition to UT System’s land purchase in Houston remains unchanged. We firmly stand with Governor Abbott, state legislative leadership and our Houston legislative delegation and support that this unauthorized land purchase in Houston be unwound.

As a tier one research university, the University of Houston currently has over 100 collaborative projects with other universities and institutions throughout Texas and globally, and is always pleased to be at the table of a true collaborative effort. We would be excited to sit down and collaborate with Rice University, Texas Southern University, Texas A&M University and the University of Texas on the development of an innovation district and/or data hub.

However, this needs to be a true collaborative effort, and it needs to be done right with the approval of our state executive and legislative leadership. The University of Houston is always ready to compete, and collaborate, for what is best for our great University and the City of Houston. Our door will always be open.

Sincerely,

Tilman J. Fertitta
Chairman, Board of Regents
University of Houston System

3 Likes