Utah, University of California, Santa Cruz and Dartmouth College joining AAU

Dartmouth opened in 1769. Man, they had a looong wait!

1 Like

Not entirely true.

AAU membership has always been considered a pre-requisite to receiving an invitation to join the Big 10 conference.

1 Like

Re: my third paragraph. I meant, athletics has nothing to do with whether a school is invited to AAU or not.

Also, was Nebraska AAU when they were invited but then dropped from AAU? They are the only non-AAU school in the B10 now but they may have been when first invited

They WERE a member of the AAU when they were first invited. They got booted out shortly after they accepted B1G membership.

After they got booted out, one of Nebraska’s top officials admitted that had they not been an AAU member, then they probably wouldn’t have gotten a B1G invite in the first place.

1 Like

Here’s the deal on Nebraska and the AAU. While a member of the AAU The University of Nebraska was counting the research money from their medical school in with the university’s totals. The medical school was not located on the main campus so the AAU decided that it was a separate school and the research funds didn’t count for UN. That move lowered the research dollars for UN to the point that they no longer met the requirements for membership. This is one reason it is so important that UH’s medical school be located on campus.

3 Likes

No, that’s not quite right. While the B1G may use it as a criterion for membership, the AAU does not consider athletics nor conference affiliation when it extends an invitation.

That’s not what I was saying.

I was simply saying that AAU membership does indeed have something to do with conference affiliation, specifically, B1G affiliation.

And what would that “something” be?

Well, simple:

If ya ain’t got AAU membership, then ya ain’t getting an invite to affiliate with the B1G conference.

1 Like

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that and my post didn’t say there was anything wrong with it. Quite the opposite in fact.

My point was that Utah is also a commuter school and was able to achieve that designation
means that it shouldn’t be used to hold us down.

1 Like