VERY interesting movie about the City of Houston coming soon!

OT: I have a friend who is a legal historian (or is degreed in legal history from some British university)…

She’s writing a book about the trials following the Camp Logan incident.

I haven’t talked to her since the beginning of the year, so I don’t know how her progress is coming. Add to that she’s almost 70 and just fought cancer. So I haven’t brought it up.

I’ll try to check in and see how that’s going some time soon.

Also, the first I learned about Camp Logan was a PBS show. This show was part documentary, and part of an actual play that was written. It cut back and forth between the documentary and the play.

Very interesting. I hadn’t heard of it at all up to then (about ten years ago).

I’m not sure if this is something someone interested could find online or not.

More than likely, it won’t even be in the golf course . . . . .

Very good movie that stayed with the majority of the facts. The definitive book was written in 1976 by former UH Professor of History Robert Haynes, who just happens to be a distant cousin

1 Like

That’s why people who think that those not standing for the flag are "disrespecting the military " have no clue what they are taking about.

This movie is a good examples of AA who served FOR their country who were forced to serve in segregated units, same for WWII. And while/after they served, were forced back into the segregated environment (protected by the law aka “the flag”). Those shiny new houses provided to other WWII veterans as part of the GI Bill…not for AA veterans and those new college opportunities…not for AA veterans…and I’m referencing Americans who were willing to die for our country.

I just hope this movie makes people reconsider the tired “flag as a sign of disrespect to the military” argument consider things in context…and I haven’t even brought up “the flag” legally protecting slavery or the 3/5 vote or 100 years of legal segregation after that…all protected by "the flag ".

Would we have a problem with families of holocaust victims refusing to salute the Nazi flag due to the pain associated with it? Because the holocaust lasted less than a decade …we are talking about 400+ years of injustice/slavery/murder/segregation/etc. In the case of African Americans all under the umbrella of the flag of the United States.

4 Likes

What a crock…

Please remind us of what the United States flag looked like 400+ years ago. Funny, but I just don’t seem to recall seeing any pictures of the U.S. Flag from back in ~1620. And how many states were there back then?

1 Like

You bring math smack?

I expected something a little more “racy” from you, Woodmark.

I’m not sure if you are being sarcastic, serious, or just ill informed but Jamestown was established in 1607 as part of the Virginia Bay Colony which would later become the state of Virginia.

True 1776 was the "official " birth of our nation but the colonies that would transition into the United States of American started MORE than 400 years ago!

Hate to nitpick, but Woodmark is correct.

It was only under the umbrella of the US flag from 1776 forward.

Prior to that…it was under the umbrella of the British or English flags.

Your statement was on about the same level as Sheila Jackson Lee’s “the Constitution is 400 years old” remark.

Yes…but the foundation for the English influenced culture was established 400 years ago and that included slavery. Even the Dutch, which formally established New Netherlands in 1624 ( almost 400 years ago) brought in African slaves before the decided to abandon it.

Yes, technically thd flag is not that old but the start of the States/Stars are. Again, I’m making the argument that the flag represents the way thus country is run - its laws, ideology, its culture…and THAT started 400 years ago!

1 Like

If we’re really nitpicking, the U.S. didn’t have a flag in 1776. The first official flag was adopted in 1777.

Back on topic.
The book my son (Cougardue) gave me about the Camp Logan riots is full of details that any Houstonian will find interesting. It covers where the initial problem began (at some black nightclubs), describes their appearance and geographical locations and the route the soldiers took downtown to protest the arrest of the soldiers all in terms if you know your Houston geography you can follow the events in terms of present day streets and landmarks.

Is this movie out? Is it on a streaming service?

Streaming on Netflix

1 Like

Assume all Hollywood movies have preselected who is good and who is evil

What are you getting at?

It is not.

I was mistaken. I watched it a couple of months ago. I had forgotten it was on Amazon Prime

Something that’ll get a perfectly innocent thread locked if we go down that road.

I think we are all aware of the racial injustice that is a dark part of American history. There are still examples today and there is still racial tension today. There are still whites who hate blacks, blacks who hate whites and the same goes for some other ethnicities as well. I don’t know how to stop it; one would have thought that by now, that would have all ended and we could all live together peacefully – as indeed the overwhelming majority is doing.

But I guess there will always be some on both sides that will keep the strife going. There are some on both sides that keep picking those scabs in order to gain power or position and we all get the fallout.