Young team is really showing some momentum lately and is currently tied for 6th. Let’s see if they can finally get a road win this year (0-6 so far). Houston is up to 195th in the RPI; Temple is 76th while UCONN is 176th.
• The Owls enter Friday with an 8-2 conference record and 12-6 overall mark.
• Temple ranks second in The American in hitting percentage (.247), kills per set (13.78), assists per set (12.90) and blocks per set (2.43).
• Senior Kyra Coundourides ranks second in The American in assists per set (10.02). Seniors Janine Simmons (1.16) and Izzy Rapacz (1.08) rank fourth and sixth in the league in blocks per set, while Rapacz also ranks sixth in kills per set (3.55). Junior Mia Heirakuji ranks eighth in the league in digs per set (4.09).
• The Owls claimed a 3-2 win over the Cougars in Houston on Oct. 1.
• Temple is under the direction of seventh-year Head Coach Bakeer Ganesharatnam.
• The Owls were picked third in The American Preseason Coaches’ Poll.
• The Huskies, who host Tulane on Friday, are 3-7 in league play and 10-12 overall on the season.
• Sophomore Kayla Williams leads The American in aces per set (0.53) and ranks second in kills per set (4.01), while Junior Emma Turner ranks fourth in assists per set (9.87). Junior Kennedy Arundel leads the team in digs per set (3.78), while redshirt freshman Genna Florig holds the top mark in blocks per set (0.83).
• Houston swept UConn on Sept. 29 for its first conference win of 2017.
• Head Coach Kris Grunwald is in his fourth season at the helm of the Huskies and sixth overall as a head coach.
• UConn was tabbed seventh in The American Preseason Coaches’ Poll.