Get to find out a lot about this team this weekend as they go on the road, but they can win both these matches if they play well. I've been surprised so far as they've been competitive this year so hopefully it will continue.
• The Golden Hurricane will play its home opener when it faces Houston on Friday.
• Tulsa enters conference play with a 6-6 record with wins over UTEP, UMKC, SIUE, Wright State, Texas Southern and Oral Roberts.
• Junior Emily Thorson ranks third in The American in kills per set (3.81), while freshman Callie Cook is fourth in hitting percentage (.332). Sophomore Taylor Horsfall sits fourth in the league in digs per set (5.04). Freshman Lindsey Ledyard ranks sixth in the conference in assists per set (8.57), first among freshmen.
• The Golden Hurricane is under the direction of fourth-year Head Coach Ryan Willis.
• Tulsa was tabbed ninth in The American Preseason Coaches’ Poll.
• The Mustangs, who host Tulane on Friday to open conference, own a 6-5 record with wins over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Ole Miss, Arkansas State, UTSA, Texas State and UMass Lowell.
• SMU, which is 1-4 at home, leads the conference in digs per set (17.49) and ranks third in assists per set (12.67) and blocks per set (2.28), and fourth in kills per set (13.40).
• Senior Lauren Mills is third in The American in service aces per set and sixth in kills per set (3.56). Sophomore Kendall Patterson is third in the league in assists per set (9.28), while freshman Lexi Nordmann is tied for fourth in blocks per set (1.19). Sophomore Montana Watts ranks seventh in conference in digs per set (4.70).
• Head Coach Lisa Seifert is in her 22nd season at the reins of the Mustangs.
• SMU was picked fourth in The American Preseason Coaches’ Poll.