Washington State Was Going To Tell Us A Lot

I was just happy not to see our offense run a wide out screen on nearly every play

1 Like

I think we could field a defense like what we had in ‘15 and ‘16 next year. Remember Anoma will be eligible. I’m told that CB Marcus Jones caught the coaches’ eyes as much as Williams did in practice plus Clemmons, a Top 100 juco CB, will play and Javian Smith will be back from injury. In addition (no knock on Stuard who plays really hard) we may see Hasaan Hypolite take over at the nickel, and Jordan Moore should start fitting in more. Sprewell, Owens, and Anderson return. So we should see a really improved secondary, not that they’re terrible this year except for the one CB position.

All the LBs return, and guys like Mutin, Gooden, Kirven, Edgeston, Carmouche, and Goodson should really start coming into their own plus Anoma will be there. We’ll have Turner, Chambers, Anenih, Duke, Willie Smith, Payne, Bell, Parish, and the two juco NTs, Neal and Charles-Pierre.

We ought to be really good defensively. The big question will be what kind of offense we will field with a new QB and four offensive linemen gone.

6 Likes

I saw a coaching staff that actually game planned to take advantage of WSUs defense and minimize the ability of their offense. Seemed to work almost to perfection. Few breaks and fewer penalties and we might could have beat a Top 20 team. Huge improvement over last year and steady improvement since the OU game. At the end of the year, we’ll look back at what OU and WSU did to the rest of their opponents and realize that the vast majority on this board are “chicken littles”. If the improvement continues, we’ll have a real shot at the conference title, but without a doubt there is much left to do. Starts this week. Beat Tulane!!!

13 Likes

Again, we spotted them 10 points from 2 turnovers. We dropped 2 interceptions.
We held them to 31 points, which I guarantee you, will be the least points they score for the rest of the season…

We will get better each week. I know it.

8 Likes

Yea…I think Leach is happy to escape with the W.

3 Likes

It was a very impressive showing by us, and playing top notch opponents like that will help us when we get to conference games…i think everything is moving according to plan.

9 Likes

I just wish we were playing North Texas this week so we could have one more week to improve before going into conference games, especially against a Tulane most here seem to be underestimating. I’m looking forward to my road trip to NOLA though!!! Go Coogs Beat Tulane!

1 Like

That sounds like an awesome roadie. Wish could make an @Tulane game some day. I’ll be at UNT though!

1 Like

I recall several delayed blitz sacks WSU and some rushed incompletions.
#GoCoogs!

Exactly I felt we abandoned the run too soon in the second half. We were gushing them five to six yards a pop. I think we panicked when they took the lead and we tried passing to regain momentum. We gifted them the game, we should have won this game comfortably.

2 Likes

One of my biggest criticisms of air raid offenses. The minute the opponent puts some more in the box they’re chucking it all 3 downs. Wsu did it too. Make them stop the run on consecutive series. Just because they have more in the box doesn’t mean they can stop the run. Let the big guys have their fun.

2 Likes

I wasn’t impressed with Washington State… Pac-10 and media play them up bigger and better than they actually are…, The University system appears to be in financial difficulties. I was at the game and I didn’t see one tent or former student facility that would of cost $1 to provide. The WSU didn’t even bring their band to a nationally televised NCAA Friday game… What does that mean?.. their strapped for cash…, they’re not trying to impress Houston Texas High School football recruitment. On another point. They didn’t even bring their cheerleaders…, not a single one…,??? WSU must be so financially strapped that they were only here to get some payment to play. I wasn’t impressed at all with the Pac-10 WSU… No Band… No cheerleaders… hardly any WSU fans … No money…They are lucky to have Coach Leach… Not much of a Athletics Department at that school from the fruit they left here in Texas. Leach has been at WSU for 8 years…, Coach H has been here for 8 months…I feel the games PAC-10 referees are calling back any momentum plays U of H had. …,
What’s my point…, WSU is not economically stable and the clues are everywhere… We go there next year and the dis-respect shown by WSU will not be an example of what a true football powerhouse like UofH will show to all the fans at the field and on TV…, U of H will be very entertaining…,not like WSU…

1 Like