Wazzu's Defensive second half adjustment

something no one is taking about, that was a major key to the game …

in the 2nd half they switch from coverage to just blitzing every play…and we didnt handle it well…

something i found interesting is how that is drastically different that last year…last year teams blitzing us was what we wanted, as it meant that we were getting 1 on 1 WR matchups…

i know briles and holgs schemes are different, but if we see teams start blitzing like that, i wish we would just put stevenson on the outside and just run deep fade routes…i doubt itll happen thou

either way we need to figure out how to handle blitzs

9 Likes

What struck me was that I felt like we played a good first half… went in for halftime, wsu made adjustments that worked, we didn’t because we were doing ok.

We gotta come out of the gates second half doing something way different to counter their adjustments. Maybe even anticipate what their changes might be.

Calls have to be disheartening to the players,

2 Likes

Agreed. WSU also ran more man to man coverage. We stayed in cover 2, dropped 8 into coverage and rushed 3. Number 18 carved us up because he was never under any pressure. Never run the prevent defense all game long.

If King gets that first down, it’s a completely different game. If he connects on a few of those sailing passes, it’s a different game. Our execution really hurt us a lot more than their adjustments on defense. There wasn’t a sense of urgency on offense to get more points & I think that hurt us. A team expecting to win big down double digits begins to allow doubt creep in & we didn’t capitalize on that opportunity.

1 Like

Adjustments or no adjustments, WSU players came out fired up and we came out like we did against PV. WSU took it too us physically for the entire 2nd half.

Agree…execution or lack of execution especially on third and fourth down in the 2nd half killed us.
Defensively, I think we played it correctly. Their QB was never sacked by a blitzer all year last year…as in ZERO times. We gave him to many second chances. Would everyone say how great he was if we held onto those two catchable interceptions? Probably not.
He threw a number of bad balls into coverage and we just did not execute when we could have.

That said, execution can be fixed. And I trust CDH will get it fixed.

4 Likes