We Lost Another Great Cougar

Burr Davis passed away last night. He was a great man,a great Christian and Coog. All American, class of 58. He played football back when players played offense and defense. The guy was tough as a boot. He was the head coach at Klein in the 70’s and coached my brothers and was my Dads co worker at KHS when my Dad was AP. They were great friends as was Burrs’ family and ours and they lived around the corner from us in the Northampton subdivision. After he stopped coaching I worked part time for coach in high school and full time a couple summers. Those days working for him shaped me into who I am today. He used to say “boy, you better keep a quarter in your pocket to call your Mama because I will leave you down here if you don’t get mower in the truck when it’s time to go”. Ha, he never would have really done that but I believed him at the time. He played football in the Canadian league for Bud Grant. He said the Steelers drafted him but the Blue Bombers offered him $2000 to play for them. Many great memories and great times with Burr and lots of talk about the Coogs. He will be missed.

21 Likes

Did he also coach at St Thomas ?

Yes he did, before he went to Klein.

1 Like

Great Cougar! Prayers to the family

1 Like

MY GOSH NOT ANOTHER FRIEND AND COOG. BO WAS FROM JACKSONVILLE
AND NOT A LOT OF GOOD PLAYERS THERE. RIP FELLOW COOG

4 Likes

My old neighbor was a Coog from Jacksonville

1 Like

RIP

4 Likes

As sad as it is Gene, those of us over 70 are of the age when the frequency of friends passing away continues to accellerate. Rose lipped maids, light foot lads.

2 Likes

Tell we meet again Cougar brother.

1 Like

RIP Brother Coog.

Rip in peace Mr. Davis.

1 Like

Rick, my father-in-law, also a late great Coog (passed away ten years ago) used to speak often of Burr Davis. He thought very highly of him.

2 Likes

Rest in Peace.

1 Like