Week 7 Polls and Rankings

#1 hurricane
#2 Charlie strong
#3 they beat…Illinois?

What has San Diego (aka the whale’s va…nm) done?

? You must be joking right? So far USF has not beaten anybody. At this point in time SDSU ought be above USF and higher.

There was a lot of sarcasm in that post, thought it was pretty obvious.

Let’s not forget these are the same yahoos that had a 0-2 Florida State ranked in the top 25 coaches’ poll.

2 Likes

This is why there is no reason from a ranking perspective to schedule a bunch of P6’s in the OOC schedule for UH. You get no benefit from a tough schedule. Schedule 1 or 2 middle of the pack P6 teams (e.g. Arizona and Texas Tech) and hope you win both. The rankings for most schools comes from how well you did the prior season and/or making a high-profile hire in the off season while maintaining a high winning %. If the 2017 season followed the 2015 Peach Bowl win and UH had only a close home loss to Texas Tech, I believe UH would be in the Top 25 right now.

1 Like

That matters for getting into the P6 auto bid, but it won’t get you into the playoff in a great year. Why not dream big, especially when we’ve shown we can play with top P5 teams?

Here is what to look for to give us our best nod of jumping past San Diego State. If USF and Navy each stay undefeated until we play them ( tough task they both play UCF ) then that gives us a chance for two top 25 wins. If Tech can win 6 of it’s last 7 conference games, they will still be in the top 25 as well. If history shows anything, going 2-1 in the top 25 gets more votes than 1-0 in the top 25.

Wouldn’t get too upset about the rankings yet; These aren’t CFP committee rankings which don’t come out until 31 Oct.

Before then:

• SDSU plays Boise State and Fresno State at home
  • USF plays UH at home
  • UCF plays Navy on the road
  • Navy plays Memphis on the road and UCF at home
  • UH plays Memphis at home and USF on the road
  • Memphis plays Navy at home and UH on the road

If a non-P5 wants in the CFP, I think it takes at least a NY6 Bowl win and going undefeated in the very next season to even get into the conversation. That requires winning back-to-back conference championships – I don’t think it requires playing 4 P5 teams in OOC. It also requires the CFP Committee to keep at least two P5 conferences out of the playoff. Dreamin’ big it is…

If UH can earn the NY6 bid more than once, then I might start dreaming about the CFP. To get the NY6 bid, UH cannot have more than 1 loss in the season. If UH were to go 11-1 (or 10-1 this season), earn the NY6 bid and win the game, then they would likely start in the Top 15 the next season. If they run off another 11-1 or 12-0 season the following year, they will have remained in the national conversation the entire season. This is why I don’t think UH has to have the big boys on the schedule to get the attention – going 11-1 or 12-0 is more important than having bigger wins in my opinion.

Now, as a fan, I want to see the big boys on the schedule. However, I get why that might not be what Hunter and Major want.

2 Likes

Our 2019 schedule is CFP worthy. Too bad Ed will be gone by then.

1 Like

My bad Brad. These rankings are not a joke. Here is why. Think of the $ bowl repercussions that they represent. A bowl game might bring in $M’s vs another one worth $100ks. I have never wanted the GVT to intervene but it is now way overdue. Again, Mike Leach said it best.

USF fan here. The conference needs USF to go to the peach bowl and win it so the conference get’s a better rep. If USF was to play SDSU right now we would smoke them. We have better talent and a great coach.

Tell that to your fans who don’t show up. I feel sorry for your team.

1 Like

watch Saturday they will be there unless this monsoon they predict will happen.

1 Like

How do USF fans feel about this years UCF team? Is it a rivalry for you two?

I am all for the NY6 auto-bid going to the AAC Champion every year. Maybe SDSU and BSU will regret getting cold feet and not joining the AAC when it formed. Had they joined, this P6 thing might have happened.

1 Like

We have a trophy now so it is a thing. Will bounce the bounce house on black Friday.

Agreed. What the AAC needs is for our top 4 teams to be ranked. I wish U of Wis. didn’t back out of this year match up at Ray Jay but they did.

Everyone is talking about USF and SDSU being the G5 reps, but I’d put my money on UCF right now.

1 Like

I agree, UCF definitely looks the best. I’m glad that we don’t have to play them unless it’s for a championship. Could be the tie breaker with Memphis or Navy at some point.