What and where is the future for Kendal Briles?

Yeah. I have steered clear of the CCK discussion. Love Case but (1) do we know if he is interested and (2) would he even make a good coach. Great players seldom make great coaches but there are exceptions. If the answer to (1) is yes and he develops into a good coach, I think he would get his shot to be the HC here. Hope so anyway.

1 Like

I agree with you. I was just answering your question of who he was talking about.

If Texas goes 8-4 Hernan won’t need to sell the Board anything. They are going to a bowl with that record and that takes the pressure off. For a year.

Your comprehension of what I wrote seems to be par for the course. I never said anything about Herman needing to save his job after 8-4. I said he will be looking for permission to hire Briles. The one more year thing even solidifies my point. If Herman goes 8-4 this year, nothing short of a conference championship will save his job the next year. It doesn’t do him any good to wait until he is fired to make changes.

CKB has an image problem. It will take some time for him to repair it. I’m not saying it’s justified, but it is an issue. I’m not optimistic about this season at all. Our 3 wins are against bad teams. We saw what happens when we play a good team. Tulsa will play us very hard.

1 Like

Please show me where I said Hernan would Lise his job??? That’s right. I didn’t say it.

Our loss had nothing to do with briles

With two years removed from being at Baylor, and a resume since then of turning offenses into juggernauts, briles’ image will be that of an offensive guru. And that’s what will count.

Lip service will be paid about whoever the head coach who hires him keeping briles on a short moral leash. But we went through that here this year so the road is already paved for Kendall.

1 Like

Please kind sir. Show me where I indicated the Coach Herman would be fired.

This thread is full of some real hot takes. I don’t see anything on field currently that would make Major a top candidate for a P5 program. Recruiting appears to be solid, but you don’t know until they sign. I doubt very seriously the UH coach is held to an AAC championship or else sort of expectation. You have to evaluate how the team performs and factor in injuries etc.

More than likely Briles will be a target of someone this off season.

Whatever happens, even if we go to a NY6, NO, I repeat, NO extension for CMA without something equal for briles. In other words, if briles goes then no extension for CMA at all.

1 Like

We’re in a quandary but it’s got it’s positive side. If we win a lot Briles will get poached…but we won a lot.

Applewhite is probably the first coach we’ve had in a while that won’t get poached if we have some success.

The quandary is the worrying prospect of the next hire at OC. The way through it…IMO…is the minute Kendal leaves you hire Art as a consultant and have him advise on the next OC…with incentives for Total Yardage, Total Offense, W’s, and Bowl victories while his selection is on staff.

Just brain-storming here.

3 Likes

You do not hire Art and give him anything from a UH payroll. I’m not sure why there’s this idea that only two Briles understand offense.

Complete and utter nonsense.

1 Like

This is way too early to predict anything. The facts that CMA let go of his OC and hired a new one is a big question mark for me. Wasn’t CMA supposed to be an offensive mind?
No we have an issue with his DC hire. He hired him while he had been out for how long? I do not want to believe that this was CMA’s only choice. It made no sense to go with a completely different defensive philosophy at this particular time. Right now the logic is that he will let go of D’Onofrio if the D does not improve. This is CMA’S second year as H.C. but how long has he been here? I am asking the question regarding our recruiting. How are we really doing? We have had glaring questions marks with our secondary & OL. Granted he has not been the C.E.O. for long. It is glaring to me that we not only have big issues when it comes to Coaching decisions but also in recruiting. That’s on him. I am sorry friends but so far I have not seen the type of leadership that we need. I pray that I am wrong but nothing has been demonstrated to me so far that would lead me to believe CMA is the guy. KB has shown in three games that his offense works. In case we have seven or less wins KB should be given the chance. I did not write eight but let’s say the offense keeps scoring at ease & the D keeps faltering? The discussion has to be had.

I believe we will be over 8 wins this season. I also think the offensive coaches will be here next year as well. Why take the time to speculate about it, lets enjoy the success we are finding currently and enjoy the ride. Scoring 50 points a game is GREAT fun. Thanks to CMA for having the vision to bring in one of the top offenses in the country. This is going to be great fun and I look forward to watching the scoreboard light up game after game.

5 Likes

No one is going to poach Applewhite…unless its Northern Illinois.

2 Likes

Ok, I was actually hoping we won that Tech game because I wanted the Coogs to win, but I also wanted Major Applewhite’s name to come up as a coach at a P5 school…so that the Horn could get poached and we get someone like Briles (with Coog ties) to coach. I am uncomfortable with a Horn as coach at UH…and a Horn great at that. I was at that game when the Texas Longhorns beat us 52 - 26 and Major Applewhite won that game for them…plus the mess their fans started after that game with us Coogs after that loss…I don’t want a Horn to coach us…

3 Likes

Cary is so right here. The worst thing that can happen is poaching CMA and/or CKB before we have a great season, at least AAC championship, preferably NY6 win. SMU, USF, and Memphis have had coaches poached and don’t have anything meaningful to show for it. G5 10 win season woopty doo. It’s good for program momentum, but that momentum is lost if your coach leaves. At least CTH took us to the G5 promise land. That’s where we want to be and 9-10 win season bye bye coach isn’t that. Just means we have to roll the dice again and there are Dana Dimel clones out there faking it right now.

CMA and CKB are completely poachable. CMA is a name outside of Texas from his playing days. He’s from the boot. I could see SEC or B12 schools giving him a look. CKB same thing fans want to win they don’t care. I agree there are less destinations in Texas that are going to bother us for a while but, as one example, we have 2 former ADs in the SEC and they and others are watching us like lions in the brush.

1 Like

There’s not one, single indicator that anyone in the country is interested in Applewhite.

He can win the conference this year and he still won’t even get a p5 interview.

He’s just not known as a great coach.

1 Like

This I can agree with. Any extension for CMA this year needs to be met with an extension and raise for the offensive staff.