What is happening with Dane Roy?

Has he made a team?

He had a tryout with Texans but was not signed. I believe he is headed back to Australia.

1 Like

Bill Obrien don’t know talent if it slapped him in the face. No surprise here.

14 Likes

To paraphrase a movie

“BOB would not know talent if it begged him all night long!”.

2 Likes

Years ago I heard about an anti-UH attitude in Texans ownership because of an A&M influence. It was during Case’s time. I have a feeling it still prevails, but I never had any facts–just rumors.

1 Like

I would think if it exists, it would be ut influence. Kubiack liked Case.

2 Likes

I know we all have our Coog Red glasses on and want all the guys to be successful, but the Texans already have one of the top punters in the NFL in Bryan Anger.

1 Like

They worked out Roy simply as a backup due to injury

4 Likes

Amen! That doesn’t fit the narrative though that BOB doesn’t like good players :roll_eyes: . As much as I was fan of DRoy esp how he promoted the program, I guess all the other Teams don’t want him as a punter either.

1 Like

The freeze on FA try outs made it hard for him and all other FAs. He seems ready to move on, go back and start his post school career. I think he will do well in broadcasting.

3 Likes

That’s a hard position to crack - Shane Lechler lasted forever

1 Like

With how good he got last year, I expected him to catch on somewhere if he wanted to pursue it full throttle. I don’t believe it was a target of his until he became convinced that he had a shot.

1 Like

I agree. Covid threw all free agents for a loop.

1 Like

I think people traveling between countries has been limited. That probably really impacted Dane’s ability to attend a training camp.

1 Like

He can always go back to ice cream sales
 Maybe make his own puntsicle.

1 Like

He had been here for a while. The NFL not allowing FA tryouts hurt him.

1 Like

How many rugby style punters are in the nfl?

1 Like

He isn’t solely a rugby style punter, he can do which style necessary and called by coach.

2 Likes

Yes, very true. The academy in Australia where he trained and got noticed teaches them how to punt for American Football not Rugby style etc. Occasionally if called upon he would do rugby style here but not often. There have been many punters to come out of same Academy and come play College football and few are now in the NFL, such as former UT punter Dicker n couple others whose names escape me w/o looking up.

1 Like

It seemed that Holgerson gave him more freedom his Senior year.

I wish him good luck because I have not seen anyone place punts like he did last year.

1 Like