WHAT IS YOUR FONDEST MEMORY OF UH ATH?

GOSH I DON’T KNOW IF WE HAVE THIS MUCH TIME OR SPACE.
IN ABOUT 55 OR 56 WE PLAYED THE AGGIES AT RICE STA. THEAGGIES WERE RATED AND BRAGGEN. WE HAD A GOOD TEAM &
WAS READY. VERN ?? KICKED ABOUT A 25 YARD FIELD GOAL TO
WIN 10-7. THEY WERE DEVASTED. POOR AGGIES
GUY TAKING US TO THE FINAL 4 TWICE WITH BIG E. BEATING UCLA
TEAM IN THE DOME ON MY BIRTHDAY
GETTING VOTED INTO THE SWC, BUT HAVING TO WAIT 5 YEARS, BOOOO
GOING TO AUSTIN AND WHIPPING THE HORNS SO BAD. THEY MADE 24 YARDS
ON THE GROUND THAT DAY.1976 THEY WERE NOT A HAPPY GROUP
WINNING THE SWC 3 OUT OF THE FIRST 4 YEARS WE WERE IN THE SWC. WOW.
TWO TEASIPS TELLING ME AT A NEIGHBERHOOD PARTY THAT WE HAD TO BE
CHEATING AFTER THE 1976 GAME. I SAID WHY YOU SAY THAT. WE ARE THE U OF
TEXAS AND NOBODY BEATS US LIKE THAT. LOL ABOUT MY ANSWER
TAKING OUR THREE KIDS TO A COTTON BOWL AND TO A FINAL 4 GAME.
GETTING TO KNOW CBY AND GVL AND TT. AND TOM WILSON SO WELL WAS
A GREAT TREAT FOR THIS OLD COUNTRY BOY FROM TOMBALL TX.
I GUESS THE BEST FOR ME WAS GETTING A FB SCOLLY AT UH IN 1954. ALL THESE
GREAT TIMES WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED WITHOUT CLYD LEE.
THATS ENOUGH FOR ME NOW. HOW ABOUT YOU

8 Likes
  1. Andre Ware’s Heisman
  2. 1976 Football Season
  3. Game of the Century
  4. Phi Slamma Jamma
  5. 1979 Football Season
  6. Kelvin Sampson revitalizing Cougar basketball
  7. Case Keenum and his joy of playing
  8. Watching the Veer. I still love watching the Veer
  9. The Peach Bowl season
  10. The Big E (probably should be higher)
6 Likes

What Coog51 said but 01/20/1968 might be #1

4 Likes
  1. Game of the Century
  2. Guy Lewis’ Hall of Fame ceremony
  3. Everything else

That game is the reason I am a Coog. If I hadn’t attended that night and fallen in love with UH Hoops I’d have likely gone back to north Jersey and attended Rutgers or Fairleigh Dickinson. Would not have met my wife and would not have this life.

7 Likes
  1. Listening to UH beat #2 Michigan State at Ann Arbor - Priceless and made me a COOG fan for life.
  2. Listening to Billl Yeoman walk through the film/events from a football game played the prior day. I learned more about strategy from him than any coach I ever had. I still remember his comments when Mike Spratt (I believe) nailed a cornerback (Michigan State game) and Yeoman goes “We could see he was dazed, so why not run a go rout right by him” - We did and touchdown on next play.
  3. UH vs UCLA astrodome
  4. UH vs Tulsa in Astrodome 100-3 - My date (a nurse) kept saying let’s go, I feel awful for Tulsa. I couldn’t respond as I was drooling from the TD’s. When we were ready to score to get to 99 - she puts her head down and starts to sigh. I knew she wasn’t for me then.
  5. UH vs TT when Keenum scores the last touchdown. I was there, great game and I admit I taunted the TT fans.
  6. Beating Texas 30-0 at Austin. Reading the comments from UT and saying we looked like a Pro team against their JV team.
  7. Beating a ranked Georgia team (#10?) at the Hedges
  8. Guy V and all his runs to the Final 4.
  9. Peach Bowl win against Florida State
  10. Watching Sampson take UH to the NCAA tournaments once again. Once again where we belong.
7 Likes

In no particular order:
30-0 drubbing of UT in 1976
66-15 drubbing of UT in '87
60-40 drubbing of UT in '88
47-9 drubbing of UT in '89
33-0 drubbing of aTm in '78
17-14 comeback win over aTm in 1979
17-14 comeback win over Nebraska in 1980 Cotton Bowl
Case leading comeback win over La Tech after trailing 34-7 in 4th quarter.
Case leading comeback win over Texas Tech 29-28 in 4th quarter.
46-45 win at Tulsa on last second field goal
Ward led Comeback win at Armed Forces Bowl after trailing 34-9 in 4th quarter
2015 Peach Bowl

Drives to Final Fours in '80s
Too many basketball games to list

4 Likes

One more. In early 1976 we played our first ever SWC basketball game in Fayetteville. We were demolished. Skip forward. The Hogs came to Hofheinz. I was among the 10,000+ that attended.we got behind early, by quite a bit. Then the comeback started. Birdsong and David Marrs. And we kept coming! The roof blew off Hofheinz. It was loud! Then louder as The SRO crowd was ballistic! Coogs win! One of the greatest games ever played at Hofheinz

6 Likes

Beating the T-sips in Austin in 76 and the Ranked A$M at Rice stadium the same year.

Listening to Cougar BB on the radio with Art Casper and Carl Mann.

Favorite all time players. Otis Lee Birdsong and Danny Davis.

Oh yes, Lyndon Rose hitting the game winner against the Hogs at the Summit in the SWC tourney.

8 Likes

winning the cyberball tourney at the cougar den in '89…

2 Likes

Every great moment in UH sports history, but having season tickets mid court for all the Phi Slama Jama years is my fondest memory.

1 Like

At age 93, I would not live long enough to list everything, but some of the guys above have done a pretty good job!

10 Likes

I would agree with all the events above and would like to add 1 to it – watching EatEmUp reluctantly spend money in Dallas during the SWC Basketball Tournament one year in the early 90’s. I never saw anyone more dedicated to his hatred of Dallas than Pat Moran. He would sit through all 4 games of the quarterfinals and never spend a dime at Reunion Arena. But one night we talked him in to going to Campisi’s over near SMU. I bet he regrets it to this day.

4 Likes

There is a long LIST of things Pat hates.
Have to admire his conviction!

2 Likes

Everything mentioned above but getting to know and interview super coaches like Yeoman, Guy and Dave Williams is something I will never forget. Besides being great coaches they were also great human beings and never thought themselves too good to not take time for this stumbling, bumbling Daily Cougar reporter!

2 Likes

Game of the Century.
Entrance into the SWC.
Bill Yeoman Veer Years
Phi Slamma Jamma.
16 NC in Golf
Carl Lewis, Leroy Burrell, T&F Dominance
Andre Ware Heisman
Football in the Dome
Tilman Fertitta
New sports facilities

2 Likes

Cotton Bowl against Nebraska

Growing up in third ward by TSU and UH and wanting to go to my dream school that represented Houston as a child. Andre Ware Herman in 1989. I miss phi slams mama because my family used to tell us all Houston teams were bad…but brother and I rebelled and started watching Rockets…I started watching Coogs and Oilers too…

1 Like

Peach Bowl
2006 Championship Game
Baseball in Regional s when we beat LSU
Golf Team going to Championship

4 Likes

You got that right - still hate the city. For years, when I would go to Dallas to see the Cougars play, I would stay in Fort Worth and drive to see the games in Dallas.

Dallas suffers from a totally-undeserved “superiority complex”! They hate anything associated with the city of Houston - and that includes, especially, the University of Houston. Heck, they even invented the name “Metroplex” so that they could include Fort Worth and every municipality between them in their metro-area; to be bigger than Houston, don’t you know?

And then - continuing with that superiority complex, they like to look down on Fort Worth, insisting on calling it “cow town,” while pretending to be a lot more sophisticated. Meanwhile, Fort Worth has always had better museums and more culture.

Dallas even tried to steal the ballet from Fort Worth! They constantly came at the ballet company with lots of money. The company had always been successful in Fort Worth, but Dallas tried to get their headquarters moved to Dallas. Well, Fort Worth was a bit smarter than Dallas thought, and they refused that. Eventually, the company continued to get that Dallas money by changing it’s name and performing in both cities as “The Texas Ballet Theater.” But, the headquarters is still in Fort Worth, I think.

Yep, I hate pretensions!

9 Likes

Great post.

2 Likes