WHAT IS YOUR FONDEST MEMORY OF UH ATH?

Akeem making a free throw!!

1 Like

What I really hated is you never hear about anything Houston unless something bad happens. When David Poland had to retire from Football, that made it to Dallas. I remember watching a Texans game one time and the Texans were driving about to win a game against Atlanta…the local channel cut the game off in the middle of a serious drive to play a stinking Cowboys game. In Houston, we are forced to watch a entire Cowboys game and the teams must wait to play. They will cut that game off up there for their Boys. I went to every UH game in that Dallas when I was in Grand Prairie and a few Rockets games. It feel great when you beat a Dallas team in Dallas…and the road warriors from Houston make it even better!!!

1 Like

One other little thing: the Dallas Morning News has always been the outlet chosen by The Great Satan over in Austin to print negative stories about the University of Houston as they were trying to get us put on probation. They had the same kind of help from the Houston Comical, but the stories always came out first in the Dallas Morning News!

Yes, I have a long memory - - - AND I do hold grudges!

8 Likes

It was a lot worse when there was a newspaper war in Dallas. DFW has many a Coog fan in the area now, believe me, its not as bad as when Hoss Brock was around. Even SMU is pretty tame these days.

If you were in Houston, they didn’t cut off a Texans game to go to another game. Now if you were in another City closer to Dallas or more partial to Cowboys gms that could have happened. But as far as here in Houston…getting cut away from Houston Texans gm…Nope.

I wasn’t in Houston at the time. Also Houston don’t ever do that to the Cowboys which is my point.

I’m not understanding but it’s ok. If they are in the 100 mi radius of Home City then they(network) will go to that Home town gm if it is starting n preceding game is not over. Regardless if preceding gm is 30 secs left n team is on 1 yd line, if its time to switch then they have to. Same if ever Cowboys happened to be on at 12:00 on same Network the Texans will be on say at 3:05 and Cowboys gm is not over they have to switch to Texans gm at 3:05 in Houston area. Maybe we are talking abt 2 different things. Boring times!

That game in '75 was one of the greatest BB games I saw in Hofheinz Pavilion. We played the Razorbacks just two games after they kicked our butts in the Ozarks, and it looked like more of the same as the Hogs built a 22 point lead early in the 2nd half. The Coogs finally started to grind into that lead which got the crowd back into it. Sadly, I’ve forgotten which Coog had ice water in his veins (George Walker?) to sink the two free throws at the end of the game to give UH the 72-71 win.

3 Likes

Houston has never cut off a Cowboys game…i lived in a place that the Cowboys cut off a Texans game in the middle of a winning drive which made no sense at all. Now if you still don’t understand I don’t know what to tell you. I am not going to keep going on about it.
Jut know I don’t care for Dallas.

1 Like

I totally understand. It works both ways. The Houston area has to cut off any preceding gm that may overlap to show the Texans…no matter the team or situation. The Dallas area has to cut off any preceding gm that may overlap to show the Cowpokes. It’s an NFL rule not local rule so there’s no conflict or grey area. Hopefully we good now!!

I have never seen that in Houston ever for a Dallas team

Seen what.

Why don’t we just call it quits. For one you hate Bob n the Texans, you make it very known which is A ok, so not sure the intentions. But what I stated above is 100% factual as far as Cities in the NFL can’t start to show their Home town already in progress just to finish a preceding gm. They will always cut to Home town team. Where if we were in El Paso then they can stay with the current gm n join next gm already in progress.
Peace out!!

Some where in the back of my mind, I seem to remember something similar (a game being cut off early) where a movie or show took over the airwaves. Oakland Raiders may have been involved and “Heidi” or some such began during a winning drive of the ball game. Big broohaha and the networks stopped doing it.

Back to the original topic . . . . . All of the mentioned events make my list, but one seemingly small episode sticks with me . . . . . During a NCAA playoff game, a close game, the opposition kept fouling, trying to catch up. UH was a notoriously bad free throw shooting team. The opposition decided to foul the freshman . . . . . and he made 10 straight free throws to salt away the game . . . . . Reid Gettys will always remain in my memory . . . . .

2 Likes

Definitely love the story behind #4 and your great intuition that at that moment she wasn’t the one for you. :+1:

We always say it sure is tough to be a Coog, but after reading all the great post above I can also say it feels damn good to be a Coog.

I’ll take all of those great moments above even though I wasn’t there for some of them and I’ll be sure to add on the comeback win against Pitt at the Armed Forces Bowl and of course the NRG game against Oklahoma where Wilson returned the kick six. The euphoria in that building was unbelievable.

2 Likes

To your list I would add. Beating Jacksonville with Artis Gilmore in Hofheinz. Ollie Taylor jumping center court against Lew(Kareem)Alcindor, 100-6 over Tulsa. Beating Ole Miss in 1966 on their home field with lots of black players on the field for us. Tying A&M in 1956 which kept them from a national title.

4 Likes

I agree about that Jacksonville game. Not only Artis Gilmore at 7’-2", but they also had Pembrook Burrows at 7"-0". I remember Dwight Davis picked up his 4th foul either late in the first half or early in the second half, and Guy moved him out on the wing so he didn’t have to cover the big guys. Davis scored a bunch of points and never fouled out. We out-rebounded them and won the game 83-82. It was by far the loudest I ever heard Hofheinz Pavilion. I saw all of the Arkansas/Houston games and they were really loud, but not like the Jacksonville game. My ears were still ringing 30 minutes after the game. It was awesome.

4 Likes

George Walker is correct!

I watched the Jacksonville game on TV, wasn’t the coach Lefty Driesell (Maryland later)? That was quite a game with their 7-footers. Dwight Davis… remember when he fouled out against Texas in the NCAA round one. Wasn’t it Hairry Larabee of Texas who came up to him and Dwight said F*** You and the camera got it dead on… It wasn’t a pretty sight.