What kind of offense do we run?

The problem with this offense other than the play calling is I think is we simply do not have the players necessary to make this offense explosive. In this offense you need a few players with D’eriq King’s skill set compared to our 1. The receivers and running backs need to be fast with some elusiveness.

1 Like

Who was the OC recruiting players to this offense the last couple of years?

2 Likes

You won’t see the recruiting of the last couple of years really take affect until next year and the year after. Every recruiting class has a few surprises that get early playing time but depth of actual talent shows up 3 to 4 years after signing day.

My best response – a predictable one.

We don’t have one; that is the problem!

We have not had a good offensive play calling since Meachum and He was not super great.

1 Like

Why does the team run so many bubble screens, sideline throws and negative yardage plays? First of all, they all seem to be slow developing and dangerously close to being blown up constantly. We look like a high school team to me. But I guess this is who we are now. I am dialing my expectations for this team waaay back.

How many beers did everyone have? Sheesh.

We run a less effective version of bush’s offense. The good news is that the defense can still be effective without big Ed

Good lord.

3 Likes

Personally, the only difference I see with this years offense compared to the two previous years is that Greg Ward is gone !!

He carried the offense the past 2 plus years with his running and play making ability !

The common denominator…CMA !

1 Like

Yes. I agree. Greg Ward was our offense last season and the only person that can replace his skill level is D’Eriq King.

IMO, Postma is a good relief pitcher, but not a starter. Give King a chance to see if we can salvage the season. If not, then we have to face the fact that the 2017 season is a rebuilding year.

1 Like

Problem is the offensive scheme !!

If I may…it is very OFFENSIVE to me !!!

2 Likes

1 Like

Don’t forget a few years ago we also had Demarcus Ayers and Kenneth Farrow who are fringe NFL players. Then there’s Tyler McCloskey who had all those nice kick-out blocks to open the edge for our run game. Basically the players on this team aren’t as good. Of course that goes back to recruiting, so it’s on the coaching no matter how you cut it.

2 Likes

Yes…Levine and staff were good recruiters !!

Again…it is the scheme putting me to sleep. No innovation.

I miss Holgersen, Kingsbury and even Meachum (yes, I probably misspelled all of them).

1 Like

It is offensive. They are running the same scheme in Austin and the offense sucks over there also (and that’s with a bunch of 4 star athletes).

UH just doesn’t have the personnel to make this offense work. When Kyle Postma, a quality back up QB, is your leading rusher, there’s a problem. The o-line is below average. There are simply no play-makers. 3rd and long QB draws might work with Greg Ward, not so much with what they have at QB now. Way too many screens are called considering most of them don’t work. I finding myself saying the same things I said when LeBush was at the helm. SMU will be a big test. I don’t think this O is good enough to beat them.

1 Like

What were Herman/Applewhite doing the past 3 years if we don’t have the personnel to run this offense. This is year 3 of the same philosophy there should be someone capable of playing by this point.