What moment did you go, "THAT'S OUR QUARTERBACK!"

We’ve had a lot of qb controversies over the years. What was the moment for yall when a particar guy did his thing and solidified the startlng job for the rest of his time at UH? Below are the ones for me.

Keenum (this was when I realized UH wasnt terrible at football anymore and started paying attention):

Ward:

King:

4 Likes

Keenum’s came a lot earlier than that. The other two are pretty close though.

7 Likes

That Memphis game cemented it for Ward…but that almost comeback against UCF where the ball was fumbled out the end zone was the game where I knew Ward was my QB.

16 Likes

The almost comeback at home vs Tulane as well…while he didn’t have a good over all game (like 4 picks I think)…he never, ever gave up and we had a chance to tie at the end.

Ward just had that “moving the chain” mindset and you add that to his running explosiveness and its a huge winning combo. Every play was a chance for him to score a TD with his feet or arm…and every first down meant more chances of course.

5 Likes

Keenum: First snap from scrimmage.

King: First throw in the OU game.

Greg Ward: I knew he was “Ice Water” in the Piit Game…

6 Likes

We have been so fortunate with the number of not just great QBs, but special QBs.

7 Likes

We really have…hows this for a 15 year run?

2018 - King - Great year*
2017 - Kyle/Postma/King - Avg/above avg
2016 - Ward - Great year*
2015 - Ward - Great year*
2014 - O’Korn-Ward - Subpar to Avg to Good
2013 - O’Korn - Good/Above avg especially for a Fr - Lots of promise
2012 - Piland-Jones - Avg…maybe lowest level in this era
2011 - Keenum - Great year*
2010 - Keenum-Piland(mostly) & Broadway- Above Avg…good for freshmen
2009 - Keenum - Great year*
2008 - Keenum - Great year*
2007 - Keenum/Joseph - Very good year
2006 - Kolb - Great year*
2005 - Kolb - Good year
2004 - Kolb - Avg year

*Many aspects these are program historical level greatness

9 Likes

Especially ones with last names that start with K or W.

4 Likes

Keenum - vs Alabama
Ward - vs Pitt
King - vs USF 2017, specifically the bomb to Lark that was INCOMPLETE. I never saw him in high school and when I saw that pass, I said to the Mrs, what a nice ball he throws. When he dropped the next one into Lark’s breadbasket, oh yeah, absolute certainty.

6 Likes

Keenum when I saw how he played against Oregon v how Joseph looked against them.

2 Likes

With Ward v JO’K, it was before either played . Film and hs stats indicated how special Ward would be. From day one I was telling anyone who would listen that were playing the wrong guy.

Gary “Moon” Mullins. The year was 1969 and the Cougars were selected by Playboy Magazine as the pre-season #1 team in the country. As a teenager, I can’t express how excited I was to see my team ranked so high to start a new football season.

Unfortunately, we lost Game 1 to Florida and Game 2 to Oklahoma State, so Yeoman made a QB change. Out went Ken Bailey, in came sophomore Gary “Moon” Mullins. From Game 3 through the rest of the season, UH not only won every game, but won them decisively, including a 36-7 bowl game victory over Auburn.

Clearly, Mullins was the QB that changed the season and became known to all Cougar fans after Game 3 as “That’s our Quarterback!”

5 Likes

I don’t know what happened to O’Korn between his freshman and soph years, but he sure went from a promising freshman to a dumpster fire.

When we played BYU in then Reliant stadium, freshman Ward came in and in a couple of plays put us in the end zone for about a 65-70 yard drive. I thought then that Ward may be something special. But I didn’t think he would get a chance because it looked like O’Korn was the annointed one.

I think success went to his head. Might have been negatively influenced by those around him. I base this partially on some comments he made about how success he would be at Michigan. The mental part of the game can make a good talent great and a great talent good.

Moon Mullins

I was there for the 69 Blue Bonnet bowl and saw him and Jim Strong
Jim Strong rushed for 184 yards on 32 carries.
and Elmo wright doing his end-zone dance blew my mind. I had never seen anything like that before now it is common

Those were the good old days
Can you believe 60 years ago
Time goes by so fast

1 Like

I have seen the premier for many great Cougar Quarterbacks. This is from an old man with a deteriorating memory:
Mullins
Chinn
Davis
Ware
Klinger
Kolb
Ward
King
Maybe someone can help me with the ones I can’t come up with. I know the list is longer but seems we always manage to come up with a great one.

2 Likes

Keenum, Ward, and King. Hope King has a heck of a year this year!!

King’s throw in OU game?

It was at this moment that I knew Keenum was our guy.

2 Likes

Look at the OU replay. He then a ball to Ward that missed…but you could see the arm strength. I knew we had Ward replacement. It was one play…but enough for me to see what he had.

2 Likes