What moment did you go, "THAT'S OUR QUARTERBACK!"

I can’t watch that again…

5 Likes

It was much earlier for me. Probably the Oregon game with the mascot incident. Blake Joseph had a cannon but Keenum had the “It” factor.

2 Likes

And that reminds me of a few other things:

I think their quarterback won the Heisman Trophy that year, but he was outplayed by Moon Mullins in that game! Auburn was highly rated and favored to win the game - by a lot. They got the opening kickoff and then fumbled the ball away to us on a very early play - maybe the first one, or the second. And the game went downhill for them from that point on, ending in a complete route of their highly-rated team.

My Mom was one of the most dedicated Cougars who ever lived, and she had died just a few days before the game. My whole family was here for Christmas, and we had planned on going to the game. We did go to the game and left my Mom’s seat vacant.

I have always thought she had the best seat in the house - and probably CAUSED that first fumble!

5 Likes

It was obvious that O’Korn never went to his secondary receivers from day one. His production the first half of his freshman year was decent because it took the opposing coaches that long to realize it. He also did not handle pressure very well. He became around a low 50% passer the second half of that season.

1 Like

yeah, that oregon game was where keenum drew the line between himself and joseph

Lonnie Holland, Bo Burris, Dick Woodall from the way past.

Billy Roland was a real gamer much like Moon Mullins. Jack Skog was another leader who also looked the role.
Looking back we have been blessed to have more excellent QBs than most programs.

1 Like

How come we don’t talk about Danny Davis anymore?

Won at Texas
Beat A$M same year
Conference Champions
Cotton Bowl win

9 Likes

Absolutely Danny Davis is in the elite group.

4 Likes

The QB quarterback sneak that Keenum ran to beat Texas Tech is my all time favorite moment in my Cougar football history. My favorite part was the student section saw it a split second before the rest of the crowd and you can see them swell up to their feet right before he scores…

What doesn’t get as much mention are the absolutely clutch as nails catches Tyron Carrier and the other receivers made to set up the go ahead TD sneak…

4 Likes

That’s my favorite too. I was sitting in the student section and had a blast. My favorite UH game that I have been too. I remember waking up early with some buddies and walking from Cullen oaks and getting in line in the parking lot at around I think 2 am to wait for the yellow wristbands.

1 Like

Tech fan spilled beer on my wife and I. Game wise, felt great beating “The Pirate” and #17 Texas Tech!

Cannot believe I forgot the Great Danny Davis. Think Cotten! Made the Veer hum.

3 Likes

:grin:

1 Like

I had Danny Davis in my favorites list; but the reason I don’t talk about him much was that he played from '76-'78. That was 41 years ago and therefore most people under 55, or so, probably never saw him, or remembered him if they did. That would leave out a wide swath of our posters.

5 Likes

Don’t recall him ever starting but without Terry Elston we wouldn’t have won the 1979 SWC Championship or the thrilling 1980 Cotton Bowl comeback win over Nebraska. He won many a game in relief during that season.

3 Likes

Jimmy Klingler was pretty decent before Helton ruined him.

Chuck Clements got us to a Liberty Bowl despite Helton.

I’d add those two onto the list of solid UH QBs

4 Likes

He and Antwain Smith… Awesome combination!

4 Likes

Those that did see him play are not posting here as they’re either too busy trying to reset the clocks on their VCRs or they’ve long forgotten their CompuServe passwords. :rofl:

1 Like

Password ??? I have a Password ?!?!?!

1 Like