What’s going on with Mark

Do y’all have any idea what’s going on with Mark? He looked so good the first couple games. I can’t say it’s the competition because he looked really good against Tech. He looks out of sync on offense and defense. Taking bad shots, having bad turnovers. We couldn’t even play him in the second half. With mills gone(for idk how long) we really need Mark to step up. Do you guys believe it’s just Covid related? Coach said Covid hit him the hardest. Do you guys think maybe our expectations were too high for him for his first year?

My speculation would be he’s “thinking” too much now instead of playing instinctively . . . . .

1 Like

He is a freshman.

22 Likes

Learning curve. Relax.

3 Likes

Quarantine knocked him off rythem. He’ll be fine

3 Likes

Several encouraging moments last, couple great passes & finally hit a good shot. Lots of talent.

1 Like

He hasn’t realized all the moves that worked in high school doesn’t necessarily translate to the college game. Look at SMU’s Davis last night. At crunch time in the second half his crossover and spin moves led to TO’s / contested shots and basically took the Ponies out of the game.

1 Like

Tramon is a very skilled true freshman and has looked like it all season. Even when he has played well, there are times where it’s clear he lacks experience against faster, stronger college players. He’ll get there, but it’s going to take some time and consistency of minutes. The only good news I can think of about Caleb stepping away is it will give Tramon some much needed minutes to iron out the wrinkles. I have a feeling a lot of those wrinkles will be sufficiently ironed out before the tourney starts.

1 Like

CKS said recently that COVID has really affected him, physically and emotionally, and he is working his way back into being himself and into being what our culture demands. He’s just a freshman, a talented one, but still just a freshman. I am very confident he will get back in the groove in a game or two. Remember, we couldn’t practice together as a team until last Thursday.

3 Likes

Those moves were working earlier … lol.

Davis tired himself out and tried to do too much by himself …

Trevor will be fine …

I liked his resolve. He got the ball taken away and then got dunked on with a backboard pass in a somewhat embarrassing fashion. He came back shortly after and scored. He has a good shot and will be fine. I’d look to him to be a force to be reckoned with very soon.

1 Like

Having two bad games after coming back from Covid, along with being a true freshman makes this a silly thread to begin.
Mark will get his stuff together and Sampson will continue to coach him up.
I think in a normal year Mark would be a starter by the end of the year…but we all know there was nothing normal about this past year.
Heck, by the end of this season he might be the best sixth man in our conference…

2 Likes

Freshman doing freshman things. Mark is going to have some ups and downs this season but the end product is whats really important.

Armoni & Hinton had their bumps as true freshman… Once Sophomore year came around they were beasting.

And due respect to the aforementioned players, Mark is the most talented. Wouldn’t shock me if he’s our go to guy next season, especially with the uncertainty with Mills.

1 Like

That’s quite the statement with Grimes, Jarreau, Mills & Sasser as older players who have been playing consistently.

His jump shot needs a bit of an improvement. Once he gets that down, he’ll be unstoppable on offense.

He has really been struggling, was hurting our offense last night. But pushed through and made some good plays. With Mills out we’ll really need him ro settle down and contribute more.

1 Like

Probably a little strong I agree…but the kid has the talent and after all we have no idea when or if Caleb will rejoin the team. In my eyes Mills should have been a starter but in the long run does it really matter? Covid and the ankle injuries obviously took a toll on Mills, but I wonder if he was going to stay sixth man the rest of the year?

It’s a learning curve.
He had a couple buckets to help out our run in the 2nd half.

I hope he stays around so he can be a starter next season with Mark and Sasser. Only thing I could think of was that he probably had plans in starting so he could turn pro as he saw Hinton did after this season.

2 Likes

I give credit to coach here for bringing him along slowly…he was going to get the minutes on down the road…

2 Likes