What’s New at Houston Football in 2018

New this year on the field, prior to kickoff, is the H-Town Declaration, an interactive chant led by Houston celebrities that will take place four minutes prior to kickoff. Ten-time Olympic medalist and Houston Track & Field assistant coach Carl Lewis will lead the UH crowd in the chant prior to Houston’s home opener vs. Arizona.

The pregame will also feature a giant American flag presented by 25 members of the ROTC for the national anthem and a custom-made UH flag that is being hailed as the largest waving flag in sports.

On the concourse level, Club Red, a zone inside Schroeder Gate 1 will allow Houston fans the opportunity to coat themselves in red with free body paint, red hair spray coloring and temporary UH tattoos. Club Red will also feature DJ T. Gray, who will be on a custom-built platform at the top of the UH student section providing top beats and energy to UH students.

Inside ICON Gate 2 will be a new virtual reality system for UH fans, who will be able to strap on a headset and experience several Houston specific experiences, including coming out of the team tunnel, leading the crowd in cheers as Shasta and Sasha, and more.

Outside the stadium, Houston Athletics has partnered with University of Houston School of Art for sidewalk chalk murals for three Houston games – Sept. 8 vs. Arizona, Sept. 22 vs. Texas Southern and Oct. 27 vs. USF. The works of art will be located outside Schroeder Gate 1.

University of Houston students will also be able to enjoy various food and drink options, all of which are priced for $5 or less at stands 138 and 140 on the east end of the TDECU Stadium. The student-value pricing is highlighted by two different $5 combos each of which contain a small soda and a small popcorn with a choice of either a hot dog or chicken tender basket.

Houston fans outside TDECU Stadium will have the opportunity to purchase a tailgate special 12-ounce beer for only $2.50 in Shasta Square from the opening of the area each game day until 30 minutes before kickoff.

Game Themes
9.8.18 | Arizona – Presenting Sponsor: ICON | Hispanic Heritage Day,
9.22.18 | Texas Southern – Presenting Sponsor: Coca-Cola | Celebrate Houston
10.4.18 | Tulsa – Presenting Sponsor: Maintenance Supply Headquarters | Oktoberfest
10.27.18 | USF – Presenting Sponsor: Memorial Hermann | Family Weekend, Super Hero’s
11.10.18 | Temple – Presenting Sponsor: TDECU | Homecoming, Sam Hairston Salute to Service
11.15.18 | Tulane – Presenting Sponsor: Equinor | Senior Day, Thanks Houston Day

2 Likes

Wow! Amazing effort Pez!

Prediction-- The H-Town Declaration will be a flop.

The food / beverage ideas seem like winners. I tend to agree the chant will not be a big hit (similar to the “Houston” “Cougars” alternating chant in the stadium). I am not one for trying to create traditions or bringing back old ones that had died off. I never thought Womp Womp would turn into what it has – I liked the song from the first time I heard it but I liked that it seemed to grow into something by itself. I like that. Embrace what the fans like and then try to grow it into a tradition.

1 Like

Chants like those only work in big crowds. I think the more important the celebrity the better the chant. That guarantees celebrity outings like Verlander, JJ, Altuve, Harden, CP, Travis scott like we had when we were winning. People not only UH has connections to but also the students to bring them out. Club Red is a great idea for the crazy fan or kid in some of us.

oh heck yes…im going to gate number 2!

I’m intrigued to see how this plays out.

1 Like

THROW YO HANDS IN THE AIR!

I owe my buddy a beer since he’s giving me his extra ticket for the Zona game. I’d say $2.50 for a beer is helping me out tremendously here.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/UHCougars/status/1037118369382756353

1 Like

https://twitter.com/UHCougarFB/status/1037747257976573952