What’s up with King?

We have a winner. I think the rest of the game was around working thru his progressions and finding alternate receivers. I think this something that he has not had to do in the past. Briles and Applewhites offenses are both simplistic in the passing game. Neither rarely worked the middle of the field. It was very obvious that Holgerson did not want him running after the 1st quarter. He is trying to make a quarterback out of King and not runner first, passer second. Trust he will loosen the reins on Friday.

I am more concerned about the defense. JC linemen have not stepped up. What happened to Payne? Is he still on the team? I heard positive things about him in the Spring but have not seen him in a game yet. Chambers? Is he still recovering from the knee injury?

4 Likes

If you have a weak defense you run the ball and run possession routes to shorten the game. I think D’King struggles with touch.

Like CDH said this team is a work in process.

Redshirting some of these guys.

This is why Dana was not too happy King was already a SENIOR and couldn’t have him for one more year. He knows his offense is drastically different than Baby :baby_symbol: Briles.

1 Like

Interesting possibility, what if we’re 1-3 after the first 4 games, Would it make sense to go to King at that point and ask him to redshirt? Play Tune for 4 games, then Holgo’s kid for 3 games and then a walk-on for the rest. Basically, tank the season to get King one more year?

I still say we haven’t seen the real O yet.

4 Likes

He showed what he could do at OK. Wonder if CDH would hold that back on purpose for this game.

1 Like

King would transfer before he would ever redshirt

2 Likes

Probably OK😁

He airmailed a couple screens too.

Heck no! Losing a bunch of games by not putting King out there hurt the morales of the fans and team more so than what an extra year of King could ever help us! Plus, the recruiting would also suffer if we lose too many games without King being in all of the games!

1 Like

Like so many I do not think that King is playing very well.

The RPO is gone from the game plans and King was literally made for that Offense.

But of course King might catch fire, as previous Cougar QB’s did.

1 Like

King has looked out of sync. I think some of the problem is the offensive line. It looked like “run for your life”. I was surprised that our o-line couldn’t push the PV d-line even when only a few yards were needed. That is a big source for concern.

3 Likes

He is also trying to get the ball out faster to be an effective pocket passer but his mechanics are way off. This fortunately can be remedied.

2 Likes

Good points all around. I do see us heavily relying on the run including D’Erik. I have no issue with it. Then it will open up the options for our passing game.
Six and eight, yes that is the amount of different receivers that got the ball against ou and Prairie View A&M. On the other hand 10 receivers got the ball for ou and seven for Prairie View A&M. Here lays a stat that does not lie. D’Erik clearly has issues running the passing offense. The good news is that he has the next few days to figure it out. He is bright and a competitor. He knows that the spotlight is on him and could well define his entire season. He clearly has been pressing. Now it is his time to expose Leach’s defense.

3 Likes

King had 2 or 3 balls batted down and a couple of really bad throws when we tried that tunnel screen to Stevenson. He also airmaled a couple bubble screens on the sideline too.

Kyler Murray looked good tonight. Had a rough first half, but started a rally late in the game.

D’Eriq King has no shot at the NFL if he continues to play the way he’s been playing. Atleast not as a QB.

There were a few drops mixed in, as well.

I know there’s an element of imprecise routes and reads with the WRs, too - that’s just harder to see.

Definitely trying to redshirt Tune, possibly Mulbah and several others I’m sure. Chambers & Godfrey were dinged up in camp but are working their way back into a heavier load. I wonder if the same applies to Lark, He has played sparingly in both games.

1 Like

I understand it was not a pretty game, and not memorable stat wise. However there were several unbelievably beautiful throws King made.

So the folks saying his mechanics are wrong, not a pocket passer I think is an overreaction. It took Case 5 games to start getting the Air Raid run correctly in 2008.

4 Likes