Whats the common denominator?

New York and New Jersey account for 27% of all Corona Virus deaths in America but only account for 5% of American Population!

The common denominator is that the New York City metro is the Alpha metro of our country.
Most travelling from Europe, Africa, Eur-Asia, enter New York Airports.

So obviously they were the first wave gateway. True there, were some of the west coast but not to the same scale.

Texas will beat NY state…just give it time

That is is shrinking everyday. But the common denominators are population density and they were hit first before we knew how to treat. There are other issues like reliance on public transportation and low income driving some of it too.

Do we want to talk about the current daily trends? They tell a very different story.

1 Like

COVID Deaths per 1 million population

New Jersey 1,796
New York 1,688
Massachusetts 1,268
Connecticut 1,246
Rhode Island 959
Louisiana 928
District of Columbia 840
Michigan 653
Mississippi 653
Illinois 621
Delaware 607
Maryland 596
Pennsylvania 579
Arizona 577
USA TOTAL 504
Indiana 456
Florida 398
Georgia 398
South Carolina 398
Alabama 377
New Mexico 329
Colorado 324
Ohio 314
Nevada 313
New Hampshire 308
Minnesota 303
TEXAS 301
Iowa 297
Virginia 275
California 265
Missouri 229
Washington 223
North Carolina 209
Arkansas 184
Tennessee 181
Nebraska 180
Kentucky 173
Wisconsin 171
South Dakota 165
Oklahoma 156
North Dakota 155
Idaho 134
Kansas 133
Utah 108
Maine 94
Vermont 93
Oregon 85
West Virginia 82
Montana 72
Wyoming 48
Alaska 36
Hawaii 24

1 Like

The states on the low end have three distinct correlations. They are spread out, they don’t bathe or brush their teeth regularly (Oklahoma Arkansas and West Virginia), smoke a lot of pot (Oregon and Washington).

So the answer is obviously to spread out (social distance) don’t bathe( necessity of wearing a mask) and smoke pot (more natural lifestyle).

2 Likes

Also, the state of New York is dominated by ONE city.

Texas, by comparisons has large cities (5 in the top 13 most populous in the United States) but we have space between each other. Also, Texas has a whole lot of land area, and population, outside the Texas triangle spread far apart from each other. That skews our numbers big time.

I’d like to see our numbers for just the Texas Triangle…that’s a more accurate representative of what’s happening in Texas.

There are a bunch of states not named New York that are above Texas.

Exactly! Because all of the population, outside of the Texas triangle is counted towards our numbers.

A better comparison would be Texas Triangle and then outside the Texas Triangle. Watch how far we’d jump up.

Can we do that same thing with Ohio, Michigan and Illinois, just count Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus Detroit and Chicago. Those states have people living in non urban areas as well. If you want to compare Covid death numbers per 1 million in a given MSA, I think you will find Texas cities are doing pretty well.

Our statistical jump I think is in the valley.

The Houston area has had 2,041 deaths and our population is 7.1 million which would be 287 deaths per 1 million.

I’m no good at puzzles, what’s the answer?

The answer is we are under-reporting our deaths by a vast number so the list doesn’t matter anyway.

6 Likes

Thanks I was just going to post that…no way Texas catches those poorly run states

Uh oh someone got their feewings hurry by that one.

Funny thing about the fact it got flagged is I have previously posted a link to the real death count that shows Texas at 13k dead.

3 Likes