When is the last time

We had a Houston Cougar selected in the first round of both the NFL and NBA draft?

5 Likes

Wilson Whitley and Otis Birdsong, 1977

13 Likes

We did it in 1972 as well. Riley Odoms and Dwight Davis.

6 Likes

I’ll be honest, I don’ t know the last time it happened, but I’m proud and happy that it did happen this year. I just hope all of our guys continue to work hard and earn it. Go Coogs!

2 Likes

Some playas in the history department on this thread

3 Likes

Remember when Larry Bird came to town with Indiana State?

1 Like

Sure do. First round of the 1977 NIT. Coogs won 83-82 and Bird missed the game winning shot for Indiana State.

2 Likes

Anyone still around that went to hoops games at Delmar?

3 Likes

Yep. One of my earliest memories is running up and down the steps while my parents were trying to watch the game

1 Like

I often think about some of the great players that played at Delmar. Didn’t Oscar Robertson play at Delmar?

So you were that kid that I used to wonder “where are his parents!!!”

6 Likes

Robertson played at Jeppesen Gym all three times he played in Houston.

2 Likes

Interesting. I am pulling a ‘youth exemption’ on that one.:sunglasses:

My Dad took me to two games, so I must have been in Fourth grade. I just remember the crowd chanting Big E, Big E, Big E !!!
And he pointed out the two spots in the key, where Big E had worn off the varnish with his unstoppable moves…
Yes, I was totally hooked…

PS: We are so very very lucky to have The Big Man doing our radio broadcasts. He is simply fantastic…

3 Likes

“Anyone still around that went to hoops games at Delmar?”

Our High School played many games there during the same time period. Several of my fellow band members in High School bluffed our way into a game one night carrying our musical instruments. Told the door guy we were the pep band (before there were bb pep bands). We started a trend. During the same time period, we watched Joe Hamood and Donnie S., Big E, Wayne Ballard and so many others. Did we also play some games in the colosseum in downtown Houston ? ? ? ? ?

2 Likes

Correct. Played at the Sam Houston C. I remember a overtime game where Lyle Harger put on a show!

2 Likes

My first Cougar basketball game was at Delmar against West Texas State, the Saturday before we played UCLA in the Astrodome. I then saw the rest of the Delmar games that season, and all of the games the next year, which was our last season there before we moved into Hofheinz Pavilion.

1 Like

Are there any photos of inside Delmar or Jeppesen during games?

Nm i found delmar.

just missed it in 1990. with lamar lathon, Andre ware in the 1st and carl herrera early in the 2nd