Who are the most indispensable players of them all? - Jazz Harris

Jasmyne Harris, Houston

Jasmyne Harris represents the dawning of a new era in the University of Houston women’s basketball program. She, along with fellow sophomore guard Angela Harris, (no relation) and sophomore wing Dorian Branch, are part of a talent upgrade head coach Ronald Hughey and his coaching staff recruited and signed two seasons ago.

This season Harris has emerged as Houston’s best and most important player, and she’s become the face of the program. Earlier this year she was named National Player of the Week by ESPN for her stellar performance in a come-from-behind road win over the Tulane Green Wave.

Harris is a high-riser who jumps off the basketball court with ease, and her second jump is probably quicker than some players’ first jump, which helps her out-rebound taller opponents. She leads the team in scoring at 20.5 points per game, and in assists (73 total). She’s second on the team in rebounding (5.9 per game) and second in steals (2.1 per game). When she is on the bench, her absence is evident.

By last month, Harris and her two sophomore teammates had helped lead the Cougars to more wins this season than they earned last year.

1 Like

I was really tickled when Jazz picked UH because I know many other schools wanted her out of Brazosport. Her attitude as a soph and junior at Brazosport turned off many of the coaches, but she did a !00 percent turnaround her senior year thanks to her high school coach. She is bright, has a great basketball IQ, and was a really good volleyball player and track star in high school…
And one more thing, it was a joke she was labeled a three star recruit. I have been covering high school basketball for over 45 years and can tell you that she was as good as I saw over the years…

1 Like

Jazz is getting closer:

https://twitter.com/jazzharris4_/status/963238594990264320