Who will be our starter at QB?

Here is what I know. Through inside sources that I cannot share with anyone on this board, Ed Oliver will start on the defensive line next year.

Please do not ask me to show where I got this information or divulge my sources. You will just have to trust me.

7 Likes

Will he start at QB?

3 Likes

Probably not, but heā€™ll anchor the WILD COUGAR formation.

Last time I checked Briles isnā€™t the HC. Applewhite is.

Coach Major Applewhite has said the offense will be run by Kendall Briles. I sure that means that Kendall Briles will be playing the players that he thinks have the best chance at success, and Iā€™m sure that CMA will support Kendall in this respect.

At this point in time nobody (including the coaches) really knows who will start next fall.

it clearly will be king. not sure why this is even a question. what did king do last season that makes him not the starter going into the season? his numbers would have been way better had brian Johnson not been his OC. he is going to break out as a jr.

this reminds of wards first offseason with hermanā€¦

we all knew logically ward was going to startā€¦ it was even a doubt in my mindā€¦but for whatever reason (height, wanting traditon qb, new offense etc) there was a large congregation saying they thought shulz or postma would startā€¦ward ended up starting to no surprise

we ALL know king will startā€¦its not even a debateā€¦applewhite was comfortable enough before spring camp to say king was the starter ā€¦it would take a miracle/dominant spring by someone else or injury for him not to be the starterā€¦
applewhite has already seen bryson in practice for monthsā€¦and im certain applewhite is going to avoid playing a true freshman
(and people saying look at Bama and Georgia ā€¦Georgia barely passed the ball all season, we are going to be passing the ballā€¦and tua barely played all seasonā€¦but were all world in high school)ā€¦there is very feew history of a true freshmen with dominating passing stats who also happened to win 10+ gamesā€¦and for good reason, the qb position isnt plug and play

1 Like

I think the gap between Ward and Postmaā€™s skill set and King and Smithā€™s are not the same. Also Ward won his bowl game with patch work staff. King lost his bowl game with the same staff heā€™s had all year. Not a fair comparison. I also donā€™t think anyone here is saying King should not start. I think the majority are saying he should be handed the starting job based on last seasonā€™s small sample, and the other portion of folks are saying he should work for it(let the best man win) and encourage competition.

1 Like

Iā€™m comfortable with saying King sound get first crack at being the starter heā€™s earned that shot. That said he should have to earn it through spring and fall beating out Smith, and although less likely Tune.

im not sure where your confidence in smith is coming from. you have never seen him play in a live gameā€¦or even in scrimmage at the college level

i havent either but im working with the law of averages for what the quality of freshmen qbs are, and applewhites comments

postma was a jc qb who just came from a 12-0 season on the #2 ranked jc in the nation. shulz was a p5 grad transfer who had 6 or 7 game starts under his beltā€¦

how are you so sure the gap isnā€™t the same? from resume alone, ward had a smaller gapā€¦if it was honestly close applewhite would have said it was an open competitionā€¦he saw bryson all fall in practice

and also your comparison isnt the fair oneā€¦ward won his bowl game after getting 2 onside kicks (nothing to do with the qb)ā€¦king would have won his if he had gotten just 1 onside kickā€¦

im not discouraging competition. but lets no fake one if it isnt thereā€¦if allen had returned i donā€™t know who startsā€¦

Iā€™m not saying I have complete confidence in Smith. Youā€™re inferring on the basis of having an open competition?

So prior accomplishments to the University of Houston football program, equate to an automatic transition to this conference, competition level, and that staff? Kyle Allen says hello. Youā€™re contradicting yourself with that argument and the " you have never seen him play in a live game" argument. Postmaā€™s and Shulzā€™s skill set was close to Wardā€™s based on prior experience? Football is a game of production not, the ability to wow.

Not the gap between Ward and King. The gap between Ward/Postma, and King/Smith is not the same. Also, youā€™re assuming CMA is managing the QB situation correctly. He could not be. Look at Sumlin with what he did at Aggy. Do you remember last season? We had a ā€œstarterā€ and then we had a QB carousel really quickly. Also for the people who say that King would have started if he wasnā€™t injured, doesnā€™t make sense. Why would I put my #1 QB at WR and risk of the chance of him getting tackled and hurting his (should be healing) throwing arm/shoulder?

We can present shoulda-woulda-coulda all day, but we never led in that game; we had a kick six, King threw a pick-6 with 3:00 minutes left in the 4th, and we didnā€™t score in the 4th quarter until 45 seconds were left.

Wow, out of all QBs on the roster you would think Allen would give King a run for his money? Interesting. lol

2 Likes

you seem to be making assumption on what i think. or what you prefer. not what the coaches are indicating

just to counter a few points.
applewhite himself said last year he wanted to name a starter at qb first week of fall camp. he couldnt name one till 1 week before the season started (5 weeks later) and neither qb knew who. it was obvious applewhite thought the race was closeā€¦ it wasnt a surprise it was a carousel. that isnt the same a naming as stating a starter a week 3 weeks before spring camp

i completely disagree with people who say king would have started if he was healthy week 1ā€¦ that i agree with youā€¦applewhite liked allen and postma tooā€¦even at seasons end he said he liked all of them

and thus why it would have been an open competition if allen was still hereā€¦despite your personal feelings on allen. the coaches liked him alotā€¦you havent been paying attention if dont think allen would be getting as many reps as king in the spring ball, regardless of your opinion of him

in response to you stating ā€œyou have never seen him play in a live gameā€ is a contradiction in comparison to adam schulz/postmaā€¦you forgot to add the part about live games in ā€œcollegeā€ā€¦you are trying to equate pac 12 play to 4a high school, where his passing stats werent that crazyā€¦ if bryson smith was a transfer from ole miss who produced great stats there, id know he can handle the college speed, id be more inclined to think he could come in here and take over

and you seem very biased, pitt was 6-6 without a coach, an fresno was drastically better than pittā€¦and again ward had 2 on side kicksā€¦it was 31-6 at the end of the 3rd (onsides had nothing to do with the QB)ā€¦it was 23-20 in the end of the 3rd for fresnoā€¦kings pick 6 wasnt a bad pass, it was a tipped ballā€¦and so we are clear, that tipped ball was one of his 2 ints in 5 games totalā€¦

you are saying im talking woulda-coulda-shoulda ā€¦but yet you are saying ward had a bigger gap on the competition but he wasnt named the official starter till a week before game 1ā€¦king is named the starter 3 weeks before spring campā€¦their is already definite answer to who has the bigger gap, regardless of our assumptionsā€¦there doesnā€™t need to be an ā€˜openā€™ competition for it to be a competition ā€¦jacob eason was the starter at Georgia but fromm pushed him and waited for his opportunity to take overā€¦bryson will almost certainly see the field next season at some pointā€¦he will have his opportunity regardless, but no need to force something that isnt there now

I never said anything about reps, I said him being a threat to King. Allen is now a grad transfer; heā€™s a 5-star QB who did not live up to the rating. On what earth do you think that the light switch will come on for him if it hasnā€™t already? He would not be a threat to King and judging by his tendency to turn the ball over, he would not be a threat to Smith. Youā€™re right though, this is my opinion, but fact of the matter is that his production is not any good. If our coaches are ok with that, itā€™s a whole other issue/topic.

And thatā€™s where youā€™re contradicting yourself. You suggested that Postmaā€™s JUCO trip equated to D1 speed. Also, just because they put up great numbers in other conferences, doesnā€™t mean it will translate here. Ask yourself this, would our 2ā€™s be able to beat the 1ā€™s at Trinity Valley Junior College? You ask about college speed, and forget non-starterā€™s (Bryson Smith) donā€™t run with the 1ā€™s but they run with the 2ā€™s and 3ā€™s; all, D1 athletes that play with college speedā€¦

Better by what metric? Due to Fresno Stateā€™s record being better? Theyā€™re a MWC team that Pitt and our team this year has/had no business losing to. Both teams out-talent them by miles.

You lost me on the first part man. lol I donā€™t know anything about Georgiaā€™s QB situation. In response to the ā€œā€¦there doesnā€™t need to be an open competition for it to be a competitionā€ part: I think thatā€™s false,and completely skips over the possibility that the best QB might not be on the field when we go week 1. This past season Allen was the starter week one, right? Who preformed better last season, Allen or King? King finished as the starter. Now, CMA is saying King is the starter without any competition. Do you see the pattern? Sumlin did the same thing at Aggy. The premise of this post is not about who CMA chose to be the starter? We have to support him either way; the premise should have been titled, ā€œWho do you think the starter at QB will be, and why?ā€. I think it is in fact there, and if CMA doesnā€™t promote an open completion then heā€™ll be yanking QBā€™s in and out like he did last year(and Sumlin did at Aggy) in no time.