Who will be the Greatest Coog Football legend ever in 5 years

Like I said, no slight to Greg. I agree that they are legendary and we are all Coogs, but I disagree with the kids part. I would never choose between my kids.

1 Like

case had to carry the team because sumlin could never hire a good dc. give case the defense ward had and caseā€™s teams would be super legit.

5 Likes

Moon Mullins is the quarterback that brought UH to national prominence and Danny Davis is the quarterback that led us triumphantly into the SWC.

5 Likes

Any love for Antowain Smith? I wish he would have had 4 years.

1 Like

Always liked him. Took particular joy in the fact that he came from a MS JUCO (canā€™t recall which) and beat up on USM in Robertson in that triple overtime game. My whole family are USM alums and where in attendance. They still gripe about that game.

4 Likes

Yeah, but most of the milenials donā€™t know who they are.

2 Likes

We can speculate UHā€™s record with no Ward, but we know what happened with no Keenum. 10-4 with Keenum. 5-7 next year without. Then 13-1 next season with. Then 5-7 next season without

1 Like

Case has my vote as my favorite UH player and our best QB. His records and stats speak for themselves and he was the main reason we went undefeated in the 2011 regular season. Yeah, the team lost to USM in the championship game; but not due to Case. You guys do remember what happened in the morning before that game and the turmoil the week before? Scumlin lost that game before we took the field.

Yes, in 2011, the Coogs won the AAC championship and a NY6 bowl and Greg gets a lot of credit for that; but in terms of accomplishment, that season, beating FSU was mainly due to two things, our defense and their QB being injured early. How many interceptions did we get in that game? 4! Plus a fumble recovery. Yeah, Greg Ward played great; but so did William Jackson III, Adrain McDonald, Chance Allen, Demarcus Ayers, Brandon Wilson, Steven Taylor, McCloskey, Bowser, Malveaux, and B.J. Singleton. Postma came in late to lead us to the game clinching TD. But look at the regular season, our best wins were against Memphis and Navy. Postma came in at the end of the first half of the Memphis game and led us to a great come from behind win after Ward was ineffective and injured his ankle.

Are you also forgetting that Andre Ware won the Heisman? Had we not been on probation we would have gone to a good bowl with him.

OK, if you want to rank our QBā€™s by accomplishment against top teams, you would have to put Danny Davis at the top of the list. He led us not to a win in a NY6 bowl, but a win in a NY4 bowl as SWC champs. Enroute he led us to wins over #9 TAMU, #20 Texas, and #5 Texas Tech before beating an undefeated #4 Maryland. In '78 he led us to the Cotton Bowl again as SWC champs beating #10 Florida State, #6Texas A&M, #9 Arkansas and #6 UT. Technically we are credited with losing to Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl; but all Coogs know that on the last play of the game, Montanaā€™s pass was really caught out of bounds and had they the chance to review the play then, as they do now, the game would have been over and we would have won.

So, IMHO our top 3 QBā€™s were Keenum, Ware, and Davis and you could fairly argue any order of the 3. Sorry, though I am a big Greg Ward fan, he comes in 4th in my book. But that is still very good and would get him in a ring of honor if we had one.

7 Likes

Davis ran a different offense than the one Keenum ran and I donā€™t think Davis was as indispensable to the Veer as as Keenum was to the Air Raid.

So, although the teams of the late 70ā€™s are, imo, our best, Case is, as of now, our greatest player, at least at the collegiate level.

I regret that Iā€™m not old enough to have seen the veer in person and truly appreciate it for the innovation it was at the time.

A healthy Danny Davis took us to two cotton bowls. Without him we didnā€™t make it. To be a winner in the SWC at that particular time Danny was at least as valuable to us as Case.

3 Likes

2002, many of those games are on Youtube.

1 Like

I disagree. A good option QB is as important to the Veer as a good passing QB is to the Air Raid.

People look at Techā€™s QB history and just say you plug another QB in. Yes theyā€™ll all have gaudy numbers, but 4k yards is different from 5k yards. And effective yards and TDs are the same.

Same for option QBs. You may not have the QB stats to compare even if looking at QB rushing yards, but a good option QB increases all of the RBs yards and YPC stats. Look at OU. They couldnā€™t just plug any QB into the Wishbone. If they could, Troy Aikman would have stayed there and not transferred to UCLA

1 Like

Some seem to forget that we had a Heisman, and Lombardi award winners in our past.

1 Like

Au contrair, mon ami. The QB in the veer is every bit as indispensible as the QB in the air raid. 80-90% of the plays goes to 3 people, the QB, the RB, and the FB. It is the QB who makes a split second read and determines who does what, while being pursued. He also passes in strategic moments.

My NCAA official records book shows 9 all time pass plays of 99 yards. UH has 3 of them ā€“ all n the veer. Warren McVea from Bo Burris against Washington State in '66 and Robert Ford from Terry Peel twice, one against Syracuse in '70 and one against San Diego State in '72. Yeoman really knew when to pull the string.

But Case is still my favorite, but maybe just by a frogā€™s hair over Danny Davis.

1 Like

My feeling is itā€™s easier to find guys like Davis than guys like Keenum. Just my opinion.

Yes, when Yeoman was backed up to his goal lineā€¦I always looked for the bomb !! I think he loved it !

2 Likes

Anyone who doesnā€™t put Sebastian Vollmer as the greatest Coog of all time is full of weinerschnitzle. The dude single handedly won multiple super bowls while carrying a stiff of a QB on his back.

8 Likes

You might be over stating but heā€™s one of the only guys Iā€™ve ever seen ā€œhandleā€ JJ Watt one-on-one. JJ seemed to have no answer for him as he couldnā€™t get around him or bull rush himā€¦Seabass looked like a martial artist just steering JJ away from plays seemingly using JJā€™s momentum against him.

And anyone who makes an argument for Vollmer without referencing the German language lessons on The Rob video boardā€¦

1 Like