Who will step up?

Seems most are missing the point here.

I’m asking opinions on who is going to step up and be the team leader as were clearly missing one.

I’m not drunk and I don’t need to cool my wheels, I’m still going to support the team. Thought it was a pretty simple topic. Sheesh.

1 Like

Hinton got called for carrying the ball because he turned over his wrist. He doesn’t do that and we win the game whether he misses the dunk or not.

3 Likes

BYU played a heck of a game. I can only be partially upset with the result because BYU really deserved that W. Their offense was executed to perfection most of the night. They got open shots I’d say 70% of the time on offense. Clearly they have some dudes that can shoot the ball.

Fabian White looked good again on offense and Mills performance speaks for itself. The only negative to me and you know hopefully this is going to change as the season moves on…

Jarreau and Grimes…I just have not seen the hype that had people including Coach Sampson talking about how they are going pro after this year. In the first 2 games we have not been able to play fast enough to take advantage of our slashers and get to the hoop. I know Sasser took a couple of rushed and ill advised shots, but I still felt like he was contributing on the defensive end more than Jarreau was. Hopefully Dejon will bounce back on Tuesday.

Also, great minutes from Ced Alley last night. It looks like he kind of started the season as the odd man out of the rotation, but maybe he’s a glue guy that needs to be in there more. Coach Sampson has a lot of good options. I think we just need one guy to become the dude on the floor and reign the team in. Let’s rebound and pound the Krispies on Tuesday.

10 Likes

I disagree White doesn’t know what to do with the ball when he gets it, he is frozen like for a few seconds, like he is thinking what to do instead of his natural instincts and basketball moves taking over.

We play a bunch of games and this one game will not make or break our season still have a ways to go. People need to quit acting like we just got eliminated from the tournament to many games left. Losing never ok but you can’t win them all plain and simple

2 Likes

We found an excellent point guard and a shooting guard as well. We lack outside shooting in
a big way. BYU played a great game with much lesser talent. The extra hour of advertising slowed the game down and kept them from tiring

This is the 2nd game in which some posters called out Fabian. I will just point out that in 24 minutes Fabian had 14 points on 7 of 11 from the floor, 5 rebounds (including 3 offenses), 2 blocked shots, 1 assist, and 3 TO’s.

The only player with more points was Mills with 17 points in 25 minutes. Mills also had 2 assists and 2 rebounds.

9 Likes

Matt. I don’t recall Sampson saying anyone was going pro after this year. Can you give me a link to a video or an article that quoted him as saying so.

I think Jarreau is still getting back in shape from the injury. He has hardly practiced at all.

Re: Alley. Coach calls him our Swiss Army Knife. He can do a bit of everything.

Not so sure BYU had lesser talent. They looked pretty skilled to me and well coached. Remember their guys are typically a lot more mature than those at most colleges.

Difference in game was the first 10 to 12 minutes. We didn’t guard the 3, they hit the 3, we shot too many 3’s and we didn’t make many.

Their match up zone hurt us early as we thought we could shoot over it.

Let’s remember that we outscored them by 13 points over the last 27 minutes of the game.

We are not playing good “team” defense yet. It will come.

3 Likes

I agree. Too much commentary about how we lost the game at the end. We didn’t come out with the energy and confidence at the start of the game. I believe the weak schedule: Italy, Angelo State and Alabama State created a false sense of confidence. When BYU showed up with maturity, experience and confidence, we didn’t match them with our youthful talent and home court advantage.

4 Likes

When Sampson was talking about Armoni getting evaluated for the NBA draft, he referenced Dejon and Nate as guys that should also get evaluated. I can’t find the link on Grimes, but I Ialso recall him saying he thought that if Grimes played to his capability he’d be a 1 year player. Houston's Armoni Brooks: "I plan on coming back. 100 percent."

Agree with you EE. Let’s face it we lost 4 starters from last year. Our team s young and somewhat inexperienced. CKS will coach them up and help them mature. I feel we will be OK when conference play starts.

I am amazed at all the analysis and conclusions drawn about this team after two games… two games.

3 Likes

Remember Drexel just 2 years ago? The season was lost, and maybe Kelvin wasn’t the right coach?

We weren’t a great team last November either

3 Likes

Same here.

It’s kind of implicit re somebody going pro. We’ve just signed three solid players and have two openings. He’s expecting someone to leave.

Re Alley, I agree entirely. If effort, smarts and hustle equal leadership, then Alley and Hinton have a bunch of it.

2 Likes

I hope you are right. However I saw a well coached team with a solid defense that cannot shoot very well. You can only teach so much. Fortunately we found a point guard.

We have a point guard, if he can stay healthy.

Was Rob Gray a point guard at UH?

Like Rob Gray, it seems that Mills is an offensive threat with the ball in his hands, but is he really a point guard? Is he tough enough and strong enough at the point of attack on defense for CKS system?

To answer the question…Nate Hinton is the heart beat of this team.

As for talent, BYU has more talent as shooters and experience to execute. We ha e more athletic talent.

As the season develops I think the execution part will balance out and we will be the better team.

They played their best and we did not. I felt we deserved the win based on execution down the stretch but byu was very fortunate on the turnover and the last shot that bounced in the bucket.

4 Likes