Why a 10 Win Season next year is a pipe dream

Coogman91,

Is there a single more predictive factor in football than quality of QB play? (maybe turnovers but that is subject to chance) If so, I’d like to hear it. For UH, it appears to be a combination two factors - good coach and good experienced QB. I think we have the coach but not the QB yet. I don’t think what I’m saying is rocket science nor very controversial to be honest.

Flowers 10 win season as a senior:

Ridder 10 win season as a sophmore with over 13 games under his belt:

Young Tune with 12 games experience total under his belt:

Back off of our QB! He’s going to be fine and this team will win 10 games! Book it!

8 Likes

Threatening 10 wins a season is about good enough to get to the Military bowl or the Frisco Bowl, correct? Challenge for 3rd or 4th place in the AAC. Sounds good.

Wait, that would have been 6th last year.

3rd in 2018.

4th in 2017.

4th in 2016.

4th in 2015.

2nd in 2014.

3rd in 2013.

10 wins is not what it used to be when we play 12, plus a conference championship and a bowl. 10-4 gets you top 5 annually in the AAC. It gets you “others receiving votes” in the top 25 final poll.

I guess that is okay.

2 Likes

Booooooook it! :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Reading this thread shows the world why we aren’t P5 and may never be. Snowflakes who melt away at the hint of adversity

7 Likes

I need that Memphis game to be a win!

6 Likes

Cmon, bigmc…every program has whiners…We have lots of good fans who will be out there next year watching us win…Most dont post on boards…For every whiner here, we have 10 who believe we’ll win and be successful…Its just that whiners are LOUD…

5 Likes

Hey I am right there with you. That dub has eluded us for years! lol it would mean so much if the Coogs went on the road and won that one.

2 Likes

Nah, we will beat Cinci, Memphis or UCF and then drop an unexplained game to Tulsa.

5-3 conference play might not get us into the championship game, but a good win over some Sun Belt 3rd place team in the Frisco bowl might…

What’s your overall record prediction if you think we’ll be 5-3 in conference, including a bowl appearance?

Yah, but the question is at what point do fans from other schools stop caring and what percentage of them stop caring?

So bigmccoog is right. The UH alumni base is, and always has been, fickle… way more fickle than other college football fanbases. For a large, public university with a very large, LOCAL alumni base, filling a 40k seat stadium on a regular basis shouldn’t be too tall of a task. It shouldn’t take a season with double digit wins. And if I am an administrator from another conference, routinely seeing a large amount of empty seats in a stadium would give me doubts about possibly adding them as a new member.

1 Like

For any team to win 10 games you need a good qb and coach. We need to see what our qb situation looks like next year and if it improves we could win 10 games.

If we can go 5-3 in conference i see 3 and 1 out of it. 8-4 overall. Add a bowl game and we could go 9-4.

What I think has happened is the value of the 10 win season is in some people’s minds a success when it really is just a 7 or 8 win season from 30 years ago. in 1990 if you won 10 games you were top 10 in the country. You were an elite team. You played 11 games at max and it was an amazing feat.

28 teams won 10 or more games last year.

25 teams in 2018.

26 teams in 2017.

26 in teams in 2016.

29 teams in 2015 (the last year we won 10 or more).

134 teams have won 10 or more games in the last 5 seasons. I feel that benchmark for the pinnacle of success is jaded. We finished 2015 13-1 and ranked #8.

10 teams in 1990 won 10 or more. We went 10-1 and finished #10.

2 Likes

The way you win…

DEFENSE !!

3 Likes

Then you would be foolish. Our TV ratings are good. We are in a large TV market. TV drives realignment.

Furthermore, and I’ve offered you this challenge before, what schools would come ahead? What schools not already in a P5 conference would put more butts in the seats and eyeballs on the TV sets (and in the case of the PAC 12 or ACC, is also well-ranked academically)?

3 Likes

Butch, I started following UH sports in 1976 when I first enrolled at UH. The narative I’ve heard ever since, has been that CBY redshirted a lot of players from the 2-8 team the year before. Since I didn’t follow that year, I don’t know who they were. Since that was 45 years ago, there’s a whole lot of players I don’t remember that I did watch that played pivitol roles in our success during the early SWC years.
Heck, there are players from the 2015 team I’ve forgotten.

1 Like

I don’t think we lose to Cincy and Memphis. But if it turned out as you predict, we would not be in the AAC Championship.

1 Like

By what standard?

I don’t buy the premise of your question. Nobody in the G5 is a top target for expansion by a P5 conference or else they’d be in already. The only conceivable way a current G5 program has of getting a call-up is if one of the current P5’s loses a member and needs a warm body to fill a vacancy, like TCU/WVU to the Big 12 or Louisville to the ACC.

In regards to the “butts in the seats”, UH is in the middle of the pack of average season attendance among AAC schools since the opening of TDECU. I’m making these points to illustrate where improvements in UH fan engagement need to be made.

Numbers derived from NCAA Football Attendance - NCAA.org

No problem Mike. Most of our best players played while some of the freshmen who weren’t going to play redshirted.
It was just a bad season. Perhaps the kids were looking ahead to the SWC debut but it wasn’t pretty
Danny Jones|Davis could have made a huge difference but I believe he was injured when redshirted.
With Hodge back and Davis at the helm we did ok the next year lol.
Holgorsen mainly redshirted freshmen and injured players with only the two seniors who would have made a difference.
Holgorsen knows a heck of a lot more than me about getting a soft program back on its feet and I’m hoping to see somewhat of a turn around

2 Likes

Are you sure? I could have sworn they’re getting rid of divisions this year. Not 100% but I think that’s what I heard.